This is my finished wallhanging for the guild challenge. It is called "The light side of the moon" and the perimeter turned out to be 77".
I enjoyed every part of constructing this quilt. These are some of my favourite things...
I had fun positioning the two owls as though they were peaking out from behind the moon.
The machine quilting process was really fun. I used the walking foot and stitched wavy lines from top to bottom. Each path between the moon columns has two different colours of thread that I tried to make look like ribbons. I enjoyed using a variety of pretty thread colours.
Even sewing the strange binding angles worked out okay. I made a two fabric binding with a predominantly white starry fabric on the left and a bold black and white stripe on the right.
What I didn't like was that in spite of trying to create variety in the background blocks, and checking the layout several times, I still managed to put two of the same blocks touching each other in the final quilt. Look at that!
Oh well, that's life I guess. Those moon just wanted to be together.
I can't wait to see all the challenge quilts hanging together at the show. It is always mind blowing to see what happens when you challenge a group of quilters with the same fabric and theme, and they create such a diverse range of quilts. The quilt show is at the beginning at May - here's the link. Hope you can come and see our challenge quilts. Don't worry, I will remind you again closer to the show date!