Sunday, March 15, 2015

Slow Sunday Stitching - Don't bring the stress!

This week I finished two quilts for my quilt guild challenge, which involved 111" of hand binding. Even though it was hand stitching, which I usually really enjoy, it was not at all relaxing because of the impending deadline for submitting the challenge quilts.
I have been thinking about this since then. The same relaxing activity that I do on Sunday, was not at all relaxing on Monday and Tuesday. It was the same task, but my thoughts were different, and so my feelings were different. And I was bringing my stress to my stitches. Not good.
Today I'm bringing a healthier mindset and intention. It's time to rest, relax, and recharge the batteries for the week ahead. I will be doing some hand embroidery, with some backstitching and making more lazy daisy stitches on my 3rd Life Is Beautiful block. I will remind myself that my project is not called "Life is Stressful"!
What are you hand stitching today? Will you be enjoying some relaxation, or will you bring your stress to the stitches? Link up your blog post below and share your hand stitching project.



15 comments:

Created by Kathi said...

Last year I had a couple close finishes based on my deadlines... this year I am not doing anything like that as the stress does change the fun to a job almost! Enjoy your embroidery today and hopefully no upcoming deadlines coming up to steal your joy of hand stitching! Kathi

The Cozy Quilter said...

Sometimes a deadline can help me to get a project that has been hanging around too long done, but I agree that I have more fun stitching when there is no pressure to finish! Have a stress-free stitching day, Kathy!

Kaelyn Angelfoot said...

I had a tendonitis flare up yesterday, so DH requested that I put down my hand stitching for a while. I may or may not, but I'm giving it a rest today :( I also do not like stitching on a deadline - even if I love the project, it makes it a lot less enjoyable.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

That is so interesting. Raised in the Christian faith, and still a Christian, yet I've been reading a bit on Zen meditation, mindfulness, awareness of our thoughts and how they arise and affect us, etc. Your binding and your example could have been in one of the chapters that I recently read :)

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I agree--sometimes it seems more like a chore than a passion. We all have deadlines, but hopefully most of our sewing is enjoyable rather than stressful!

Deanna W said...

Deadlines help us get things done but ohhhh the pressure and I agree not fun stitching!!! Enjoy your day of restful, stressfree stitching. Myself...I am machine quilting and that is stressful for me!! Wish me luck!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I have company coming today, so maybe I can destress later with some handwork.

CathieJ said...

Life here is stressful, but my stitching calms me. I really like your embroidery. So pretty.

Kaja said...

Few things are fun once there are deadlines to hit, but I hope you enjoy some stress-free stitching today.

Denise :) said...

Good point . . . enjoy your 'stress-free' stitching today!! :)

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I agree stitching to meet a deadline is totally different. Hope your stitches today are enjoyable.

Stephie said...

Your red work is looking fab Kathy! I tried to leave my anxieties behind today, but they do have a nasty habit of sneaking up behind you when you're not looking!

Juliann in WA said...

I will not be bringing any stress to my stitching time. Knitting and quilting are my stress busters!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I had a slow stitching session on Saturday night and will again Monday but Sunday was spent walking all over Chicago - I'm worn out - I need some stitching time tomorrow for sure!

Kate said...

Deadlines never make for relaxing anything, even if it's something you enjoy. Hope you were able to get in some relaxing stitching over the weekend.