Monday, March 23, 2015

Design Wall Monday - Log Cabins

I didn't stitch one single stitch on World Wide Quilting Day. That just doesn't seem right for a quiltaholic like me! I'll have to make up for the lost stitching time this week.
Today I have my blue and yellow log cabin blocks on the design wall. I have been sewing blocks together in pairs, then in sets of four, and then sewing together the rows.
I am surprised at how big this quilt is going to be. 
Here is the math...
The logs in these blocks are all cut at 1" and when sewn together finished at half an inch. For real!
Each block has 21 pieces and is 6.5" and when they are sewn together the blocks finish at 6". 
How many 6" blocks are needed for a bed quilt?
Well, I have sewn 130 blocks and if the quilt is 10 blocks across and 13 blocks down, I am guesstimating it'll be around 84" x 108" without borders. That is big enough for me. I am starting to get some quilting ideas, which is always a good thing to prevent a quilt from heading to the UFO closet!
To see more design wall postings, hop over to Patchwork Times.

22 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I just LOVE this quilt - I love log cabin quilts and have made several. Seeing yours has inspired me to make another with much narrower logs - and to set it on point.

Deb A said...

Oh my goodness! I did not realize they were that small! Love the blue and yellow - my favorite two colors together.

KaHolly said...

Just so lovely. Really makes a statement. I love log cabins made from narrow strips. Can't wait to see how you decide to quilt it.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I love log cabins when they are done with smaller strips. Such a simple block but it really takes some skill to stitch. I am starting one doing it the old fashion way of adding a strip at a time. Part of my improving my piecing skills. So many settings for these, is this your final layout? I have been looking at them on pinterest, so many ideas.

Sue Daurio said...

Love blue and gold together. This is so very pretty. The logs being so small adds so much to it.

Missy Shay said...

I love your blocks and the layout is great!

Flickenstichlerin said...

Dear Kathy,
what a gorgeous Log Cabin design. You have done a wonderful job. Looks beautiful.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Scrappy quilter said...

That is looking mighty pretty. I love. Your color combination.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I didn't get to stitch either, aside from some embroidery in the evenings. I spent the days cutting out a big project. Your log cabins are so pretty--it's going to be a lovely quilt!

Needled Mom said...

Those blocks are so pretty. I love blue and yellow together.

Bonnie said...

WOW! It is gorgeous. I'm so impressed with your progress. It will be lovely on a bed.

Angie in SoCal said...

What a glorious quilt that is going to be. So much progress!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Love the colors and your setting is very unique. Wonderful quilt.

Mary said...

I got to Sew most of the day. I ended it with some Crochet while I had Grandma Time. 6" BLocks add up. It could be the size of my Sampler quilt. Blue and Yellow so classic!

Lesley said...

This is such a pretty quilt...love the gentle colours!

Janet O. said...

It would be very easy to fall asleep beneath that quilt, my friend! So soothing and peaceful.

canuckquilter said...

What a great log cabin setting! I've never seen this one before but I love it, and I love the blue and yellow together.

Kaja said...

I love the setting and the blue and yellow - this will be wonderful.

Kevin the Quilter said...

What a striking quilt! And a wonderful idea for a stash buster if you have the yardage!

Jean said...

You do love them small! I love it and it will be gorgeous!

Julie in GA said...

Your little blocks are beautiful, and they will look fabulous in that setting!
I'm afraid I have some bad news though--you are going to need many more blocks than planned. The 10 x 13 setting will produce the size you wanted, but you didn't count the in between rows for the on-point setting. That needs another 9 x 12 blocks, 108 total.

Kate said...

Wow, those are some small logs in those blocks. It's going to be gorgeous when you have it all together.