Saturday, March 14, 2015

Scrappy Saturday - Yellow

Yellow is the colour of the month at the Rainbow Challenge and we are digging into the scrap bins to find the sunshine!
I was given these wonderful batik scraps which are perfect for my Alamo Star blocks. I laid out all the scraps and started cutting pieces using my Tri-Recs rulers. 



I have 8 Alamo Star blocks ready to sew as leader/enders this month. 





I was able to sew 4 little stars with some yellow in them, but look forward to getting the rest of these blocks sewn up this month.



I have been surrounded by yellow (and blue) quilts this week. It's odd how that happens.

First - I have been working on my log cabin blocks and have a big hunk of the corner sewn together now.

Second - I adopted this yellow and blue quilt when I was at guild meeting (it was random, I have no idea why I did that!)  I started machine quilting it yesterday. 

Third - I sewed a label on a donation quilt made by my little sewing group. The fabric was all from our stashes, and we were amazed at how big it became - 80" x 109".  One of the group members thought it should be long enough to have a pillow tuck at the top. 




It's long enough for a pillow tuck, and then some! It needs to go to a home with tall people ;) 
Anyway, the quilt is hand quilted and will be auctioned at the Mennonite Relief Sale on the last Saturday in May.

To see more yellow scrap projects being made, hop over to SoScrappy.

20 comments:

scraphappy said...

So much yellow this month. You've gotten a lot done so far. Congratulations! Those Alamo stars get cuter each time I see them.

Kaelyn Angelfoot said...

I don't know how the weather is where you are but around here, we could use a little yellow and bright sunshine! Lovely quilts.

KaHolly said...

Just look at how busy you' ve been! Lately I seem to only be able to focus on one project at a time.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

very nice work on all your quilts - I like you tend to work on more than one thing at a time

Kate said...

Lots of fun yellow scraps in all those projects. Enjoy your scrappy play this weekend.

I love your new header photo. I'm so ready for all the soft colors of spring to show up here.

Scrappy quilter said...

You've done lots of pretty yellow projects. Great job!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

All your pretty yellow projects! But love the mix of blue with them the most.

Deanna W said...

I really like the blue/yellow combination...makes me think of sunshine and clear blue skies!! Have a great Saturday!!

Cathy said...

Love, love, love those Alamo Stars!

Created by Kathi said...

Love all the yellow and blue you are surrounded by and I also love those Alamo Stars... what a fun leader ender project too! Kathi

Quiltdivajulie said...

I DO love blue and yellow . . . great batik scraps, too.

Lori said...

Blue and yellow are a stunning combo . I almost spit my coffee out , laughing at your quilt for tall people reference.

Cathy Tomm said...

You have some great yellow all over. I love seeing the scraps in there little piles, so happy looking.

Nell's Quilts said...

So good of you to take on the quilting of the yellow and blue quilt. Lots of sunshiney fun your way this week.

Janet O. said...

Such pretty batik scraps for your Alamo Stars.
Blue and yellow make a very cheery combination, so these two quilts are sure to brighten lives!

Edith said...

So many great blocks and quilts, great organization as well.

audrey said...

So much to see! You're very busy.:) Love your springy looking header!

Kaja said...

You've been busy this week! I love the batiks - such vibrant colours and yellow is a great colour to be working with at this time of year, isn't it? A taste of spring to come. On that note, tulips are my favourite cut flowers and your pink ones are beautiful.

Mystic Quilter said...

Always love to see blue and yellow together and what a lovely quilt. Your collection of yellow batiks, I shall watch out for the Alamo Stars using these.

Sheila said...

Beautiful prints! Love your blue and yellow quilt, too.