Saturday, June 12, 2021

Scrappy Saturday - Full Stop

 Are you sewing along with the RSC year long quilt project called Full Stop? Each month we are sewing a different punctuation mark using the colour of the month.

Last month our block was red exclamation marks and I just finished sewing these. I tried to make each one a bit different using Cheryl Arkison's improv tutorial. It was so much fun that I briefly thought of making a whole quilt of these in many colours. Cheryl made her quilt in blues using these blocks and it's the perfect block pattern for a covid quilt!

Here are my Full Stop blocks on the design wall. I am making 4 blocks each month and am ready to start sewing my purple semi colon blocks to add to this collection.

Linking up to the weekly RSC party

Monday, June 07, 2021

Finished Quilt Top

I participated in the Laundry Basket mystery in May.  For 2 weeks a different block pattern was posted daily, and by the end we had 225 plain or pieced blocks ready to put together. 

Here is the quilt top on my design wall.

This was a fun way to build a quilt! I am delighted that it was mostly made from fabrics that were gifted to me from my quilty friend Leslie and some of my older neutral FQs. The colour work would have been better if it wasn't a mystery - I would have spread out those dark reds more and wouldn't have put the browns on the outside. But it was a mystery and the goal is to have fun not to make a perfect quilt! You just never know where everything will end up and which blocks will be together.

If Edyta does another mystery next spring, I'm going to try making my first monochromatic mystery! Her blue and white version is gorgeous!

Linking up to Design Wall Monday

Sunday, June 06, 2021

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to the weekly hand stitching party!

Last weekend I attended my first zoom wedding. While I was waiting for the ceremony to begin, I was knitting another facecloth.  Although I was thankful to be able to watch (and they did a great job of ensuring that the virtual guests could see and hear everything) it was hard to not be there in person.

I did finish this knitted cloth for my friend Louise for her birthday. I'm always thrilled when you can actually make out the pattern. There are a couple of mistakes, but you can see the letters, and make out the shape of the flowers so I'm very happy with it! This is another pattern from Knitwits and made with Sudz yarn.

I also finished hand stitching the binding on my May placemat this week. So it has been a productive hand stitching week, and I don't know what I'll be stitching today.

What are you hand stitching today? Link up your blog post and share your project with us.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

Saturday, June 05, 2021

Scrappy Saturday

Red month has come and gone! How did that happen so fast? I sewed these cute little blocks using 1.25" HSTs for the side borders of my May placemat.

It was fun to use some Canadiana themed fabrics. One print has the names of all the provinces.

And I am still sewing up some of the scrap blocks I had cut out earlier in May, such as these waffle blocks.  

Today I'll be working on some red explanation point blocks for the Full Stop project, and then I will be ready to start cutting scraps for purple month. 

Linking up to the Weekly RSC party

Friday, June 04, 2021

June Goal

June will be a busy month, so I am being kind to myself in choosing a realistic UFO goal. 

I intend to piece a backing for my 21 stars mystery quilt which was pieced in January. I used the quilt top scraps to make these fun friendship variation blocks in Cheryl Arkison's Traditional Variations class. I just have a few scraps leftover from these blocks and will look in the stash for more fabric to 

Linking up to One Monthly Goal

PS Did you know that I won a prize for linking up with One Monthly Goal last month?!? I won this lovely EPP kit from Paper Pieces! I actually got a treat for finishing a quilt!

Wednesday, June 02, 2021

May's Placemat

I'm a little late posting my mini Table Scraps challenge for May. The RSC colour for May was red, so I rummaged through the UFO box and found a house block that was primarily red.  I think it was started for some kind of challenge and then it was abandoned when it didn't turn out as I had envisioned. Basically, I hated it! LOL 

Just look at that weirdo applique tree which I'm sure must have been the challenge fabric.

decided to combine the block with a charm pack for this month's  placemat project. I also found some gifted red triangles, and dove right in to creating something.

First I sewed these sweet little blocks using the Canadian themed True North charm squares with the red triangles. The 20 HST blocks finish at 1.25" and are my favourite part of this project! I sewed the blocks together for the side borders which gave the project the rectangular shape I prefer for a placemat.

Then I had to fix the windows in the house since they were too stark. I appliqued a tiny print fabric over both windows (and later quilted some curtains).
Then I pin basted the quilt, batting and backing...
and the quilting fun began. I machine quilted the words HOME Sweet HOME in the background and on the roof, and then stippled the background space.

It t
urned out much better than I had anticipated!

Monday, May 31, 2021

Design Wall Monday

Progress is slowly being made on my scrappy version of the Laundry Basket mystery quilt. I have all the blocks sewn and am attaching them into rows. This photo shows the middle 5 rows of the quilt top. There are 5 rows to add on either side, and that will be the focus of my sewing this week. It is 
slow going with a lot of seam matching.  Although I am tempted to work on something more fun, I am determined to stick with this until the quilt top is together!

Linking up to Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts