Friday, March 06, 2015

The challenge becomes more challenging

I make a quilt in much the same way as I drive a car. I start out with a destination in mind, but don't pay too much attention to the details as long as the scenery is lovely, I am enjoying myself, and I am heading in the correct direction. I know I always get there, and trust that the way will become clear as I make all the decisions that must be made as I go along. It's a fun way to travel and to create, until the deadline approaches and I'm not near where I need to be! 
I have to hand in my guild challenge quilt on Tuesday, and the clock is ticking loudly ... tick tock, tick tock.
It's time to stop having fun and make some decisions!


My little HST blocks decided to become their own quilt, since they couldn't play nicely with the other blocks I had made. I used a Camille Roskelley pattern to make a small circle of friendship stars.


Then I machine quilted a free hand spiral that turned out okay.







But when I was ready to sew the binding on, I realized that this quilt is too big for the miniature category. Look at this... it would be one inch too big for the 36" perimeter rule!! Ugh. My bigger HST blocks are hopefully going to become something for the wallhanging category, so I had to size this one down to less than 36"


And so I did. I took a plate to trace a curve, and cut off two of the corners to make it a bit smaller. Shhhh...it's top secret that the corners were cut off to fix a mistake. Hopefully people will think I meant to do this from the start, and will consider it an endearing design element!

Now to try to get a straight cut binding on rounded corners!

15 comments:

Raewyn said...

When needs must...!! My approach is similar to yours', love the process and the playing!! Your mini quilt is cute - great fussy cutting too!

Karen said...

Creative solution.

Lisa J. said...

I'm impressed with your solution Kathy.

Scrappy quilter said...

My approach is similar to yours too. Great job on fixing the problem. We won't tell!

Julierose said...

Oh I am all about "Plan B" fixes lol hugs, Julierose

KaHolly said...

Thank heavens for plan B's, even when you pull them out of your hat last minute, I look forward to seeing the 'new'version!

Diane said...

Your secret is safe with me! I love it. :)

Renee said...

Are there really mistakes in quilting and crafting? Or just inspirations for more creativity?! Rounding the corners sounds like the perfect solution to your dilemma and I look forward to seeing it when finished. It looks adorable!

Jeanna said...

Very clever!!! I love it.

Dasha said...

What a brilliant solution! Fantastic.

AnnieO said...

My sister always terms these occurrences "design elements" :). Cute almost mini!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Correlle makes a great template. Looking forward to seeing how it looks now that the corners have been 'trimmed'. I like what I've seen.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I love how our kitchen items are so useful for sewing. I think it is a wonderful design plan.

Janet O. said...

Great design, and you found a smart solution to the problem of size!

Kate said...

There are no mistakes, just creative design decisions in cases like this. Love the mini!