Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Perseverance

My challenge quilts are approaching their completion.  The mini quilt just needs a label, a hanging sleeve, and a few beads. I had to block it to get it to uncurl on the rounded corners, but it's tolerable now. (You can read a good article about quilt blocking here.)
And the wallhanging is almost ready to finish. I sewed the blocks together as they were on the design wall because I didn't have the time to fuss with it too much. I pieced together some batting scraps using fusible tape that I was given, and went right to the machine quilting as quickly as possible. One of my favourite steps in quilting is picking out quilting threads. I unravel lots of spools and lay the threads on the quilt and see what I like.
One thing I have noticed is that the longer I quilt, the more colours of threads I want to use. There was a time when I picked one... yes only ONE colour of thread for a whole quilt. That rarely happens now. Why use one colour when you have a whole box of colours to play with?!? 
I quilted very simple wavy lines between the moons, and was careful not to "over-quilt" (which I sometimes do because I am having so much fun) so it lays nice and flat. Again I have some unusual edges to bind and hope I can get the points to fold nicely. Have you ever called into work "sick" because you have a quilt deadline? 
Me neither.

12 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Your quilt just shines! Good luck tonight!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I am just a beginner at machine quilting still even though I have been doing it for several years now and never thought to use several colors to quilt with - I don't know why as I do that for hand quilting sometimes - this quilt look really good and I would love to see a close up photo of the quilting when you are done if you wouldn't mind - would love to see the colors closer.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I have a thread order in because of you. I plan to use several colors and mix machine with hand big stitching. I just hope it works out as well on my quilt as in my head. I too want to see how you this looks once it is finished. Great job on making your deadline and not missing work!

Deanna W said...

Gotta love deadlines!!we manage to get things done just in the nick of time! It looks great too. Aren't spools of thread just like candy!!!

Mary said...

Hahaha, Sick day. Quilting is the BEST Therapy, so you could call it a Therapy day. No stress when you use only one color of thread. I love seeing what you quilt on your projects. Have fun with it. That's what it's all about.

Terri said...

Me neither... LOL
That's one pretty quilt. Thank you for the permission to use different thread colors while quilting. I needed that.
Hugs

Lisa J. said...

I've never called in sick but I have taken a vacation day! Good luck getting it all done.

Mystic Quilter said...

Isn't it thrilling when we get to the stage of picking out our quilting thread! The colours you have used are lovely.

Janet O. said...

I love your approach to choosing thread.
This is such a great quilt. Can't wait to see the finish!

Kaja said...

I entirely agree about the thread. When I find myself thinking of going for one thread (if a quilt has a lot going on already) I cheat and use variegated!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

I just finished a black and white (which is so NOT like me) quilt for a wedding gift. Thank you for showing me that black and white can be beautiful. I love those circles!!

Kate said...

Very pretty! Good luck on making your deadline.