Monday, March 09, 2015

Design Wall Monday

The blocks for my second challenge quilt are on the design wall (you can read more about the challenge here). I was inspired by Julie (who was inspired by Nancy Mahoney) to stitch moons onto half square triangle blocks for the theme of "Nightscape". 


This is a bad photo, taken at night, but you can get the idea of how this is starting to turn out. 
I started with yellow moons, and was gradually drawn more to the oranges and pinks, and then a bit of purple to balance out the owl challenge fabric. 
I was thinking the quilt would maybe be 5 blocks across and 7 down for a total of 35 blocks. I made a few extra and when I put them on the wall to figure out which ones needed to be voted off the island, I liked them all and ended up with this unusual shape. I kind of like it and might keep that layout. I'll have to fill in the edges with something.
Tonight I will be finishing this quilt somehow... a bit of quick machine quilting, and then hand stitching the binding down to meet the submission deadline of Tuesday night. Nothing like an adrenaline rush to get the creative juices flowing!
To see more design wall posts, hop over to Patchwork Times.

32 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

This is really an interesting project!.

Kate said...

Love the way you transitioned the colors. Beautifully done!

Angie said...

I really like this pattern and love your interpretation of it!

Millie said...

This quilt ROCKS! I love the way you've arranged it. Keep going. Looks like a winner to me!

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

That is a great quilt. I've become partial to white/black fabrics. I love the pops of color in the moons.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love circles and love this quilt!!

Deanna W said...

More like "nothing like a deadline to get your butt in gear"!!! Look great!

Pat said...

I really like how this has evolved! Like the layout a lot. Wondering about gray on the sides (if you must add sides!) for the shadows of nighttime....
I do like it as it is.....

Ruth said...

Fascinating quilt!

KaHolly said...

Oh my goodness, this really sings to me! It's going to be beautiful when completed!

Quilt Rat said...

Loving the direction this has gone.......FABULOUS!!!! okay....now.....get back to work

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I love it--so fun!

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh Kathy it's wonderful! Keep it just as it is - asymmetrical layouts are totally "in" right now :) I am taking a class from Nancy Mahoney this spring and just got her book ... this was my favorite quilt in the book and I hope to make it as well someday!

Mary said...

The varied Black and whites give this more interest. Nothing like a deadline to get the Creative juices flowing. Maybe add one more random block down in the empty space somehow.

PeggyinNO said...

I love how this all came together. Love all the "moons"! If you feel it needs more, how about black half square triangles on the left side, white ones on the right and both black and white on the top to finish the pattern. Just my 2 cents worth!

Ramona said...

Fun, fun, fun!! I love your design!!

julieQ said...

Oh I like! A LOT!!

Cathy said...

I love it, and agree with Teresa, to keep it just as it is.... although that would make binding it quite the challenge.

Julierose said...

I am loving all those moons...this is a super piece...hugs, Julierose

audrey said...

It looks great! Love the different shades of color.:)

Kaja said...

This is great! I love the idea of the moons on the triangles, love the colours you have used and how you have placed them, and really like the unusual shape.

Cathy said...

I was inspired by Julie too but never did anything about it. Now I'll add you to the inspiration list!

Mystic Quilter said...

Wow - this is stunning!

Chantal said...

I saw this quilt on Julie's blog and I fell in love too. It is definitively on my to-do list. Your rendition is just as lovely. Love the unusual shape. Go! Kathy! Go! You can finish it!!

Scrappy quilter said...

I am loving this quilt. Amazing!

CathieJ said...

So pretty. I love how you came up with an unusual shape just by viewing your design wall.

Lisa J. said...

It's amazing Kathy. I know you will get it finished.

Julie in GA said...

Kathy, your blocks look fabulous together and I love the layout. Your gradation of colors is incredible!

Julie in GA said...

I agree with the idea from PeggyinNO (#15) to add black triangles on the left, white on the right, and black/white split at the top. I like the asymmetrical bottom point as it is.

Bees Knees Granny said...

Agree!

Janet O. said...

Stunning, Kathy!

Gari in AL said...

I LOVE your blocks. I just know that I am going to have to make something like this, it is wonderful!