Thursday, March 05, 2015

The challenge of a challenge

My quilt guild is having a challenge for our upcoming quilt show. We were given these 2 fat quarters and a theme of "Nightscape".
The thing about a challenge is that it is ... well, it's a challenge. It is "a test of one's abilities or resources in a demanding but stimulating undertaking". It's not supposed to be easy, and sometimes it is really a struggle.

I have changed my mind many times about what I would like to create. I have a lot of creative ideas spinning around, have discarded a few lofty ideas, had a couple of false starts, and have settled on one or two possibilities that might become a quilt that I could like. Last week I made some tiny HSTs and made some bigger ones this week, but still haven't decided yet how these blocks are going to fit together into a quilt. 
I have also made some circles using my favorite method of Karen Kay Buckley's circles, and liquid spray starch. That was really fun. 
And now I need to figure out what to do with the circles. Are circles necessary for a nightscape? Well, I was thinking of moons, and started out with yellow scraps, but somehow the oranges jumped in there, so now I'm not sure!
Stay tuned to see how this challenge turns out... or not!

16 comments:

Julierose said...

Can't wait to see how this one comes out--excellent...hugs, Julierose

Flickenstichlerin said...

Dear Kathy,
for this I would like to quote J.P. Singer who said: "the creative process is a series of crises". We are not alone here and I am looking forward to your creativity. I bet something awesome will come out of that struggle, oh I ment crises.
Greetings,
Sylvia

audrey said...

Challenges are so interesting. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.:)

Deanna W said...

Your thought process is amazing. I would have to have a plan, I would never just start cutting things and hope that they will fit together. But I know you will do a great job and your challenge will be fantastic!!!

Mary said...

No EQ drawing or Graph paper sketches? I like the Karen Kay Buckley circles too. I have the ovals too but haven't used them yet. Orange Moons, Why not?

Janet O. said...

So curious now to see what comes of your creativity. I really like the shooting star circle! : )

Jeanna said...

Wow, that does sound like a challenge. Good luck, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Quilting Stories said...

This is an interesting challenge for a creative person. Good luck!

Rebecca in AK said...

I am so excited to see what you come up with! You are so creative!

Deb A said...

Those orange circles could be eyes peeking out of some bushes or a dark area. So exciting to create for a challenge. Looking forward to what you come up with.

Scrappy quilter said...

What an interesting challenge. I look forward to seeing what you've done.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

This should be a fun quilt. I'm sure you'll come up with a great quilt for the challenge.

Lisa J. said...

I'm curious to see what you come up with.

Denise :) said...

How funny . . . this is not the first time I've seen the purple owl fabric on a blog -- this week! I wonder if the two of you are in the same guild?! I love the print -- it's one I'd buy just because I love purple and owls and October. LOL! Can't wait to see the final result!! :)

Denise :) said...

Haha! And then I saw the comment above mine and realized that you are, indeed from the same guild and know each other. Too funny! :)

Kate said...

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for this challenge.