Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Challenge Quilt - Miniature


Yes... both challenge quilts were finished in time to meet the submission deadline! It was close, but I made it.

Here is the 34" miniature quilt (with the corners rounded to meet the size requirement of under 36") and it is called "The wisdom of friends helps survive the darkest night". I love the friendship star blocks around the owl centre block. The pattern is by Camille Roskelley. In the description of the quilt I wrote "Good friends are like stars. You don't always see them, but you know that they are always there."

I had to block the quilt to get it to lay flat, and thankfully this worked wonders in uncurling the corners. See all the pins in around the curves? I pinned it (after soaking it) to my June Taylor mat and let it dry overnight. If I would have known the edge was going to be rounded, I would have used a bias binding, and saved myself the hassle. Oh well, the remedy worked, and beading could commence.





I thought the quilt needed some sparkle, since it was a starry night quilt. The background purple beads with a tinge of gold were perfect, and I was happy with how they added to the quilt. 




I didn't end up liking the effect of the gold beads on the stars as much as I thought I would.
But a finished quilt is a wonderful quilt :)
I will write a post about the second quilt after I have my morning coffee.

18 comments:

Raewyn said...

Well done, lovely mini-quilt - and a great way to solve your size problem, it looks like it was meant to be like that!

Deb A said...

That came out great! Can't wait to see the other one after my walk =) Enjoy the coffee, it is a must to help wake me up.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, I think it needed that curve design to just add the right motion to the piece. I think the beads are a great embellishment - a little extra pop to a cute mini.

julieQ said...

What a unique design! I really like it, Kathy. Great challenge quilt!

karen said...

Everything about this quilt is great...name, shape, beads. Love it.

Lesley said...

Your quilt is amazing! I see it as a first place winner!

KaHolly said...

It finished up beautifully! Reminds me of that old saying, "Necessity is the Mother of invention." The added sparkle was just the right touch!

Rebecca said...

ohhhhh I love the shape and everything about this quilt!!!

Mary said...

Fun quilt shapes for your Challenge! The friendship stars around the Owl is interesting. The name fits. Glad you got your challenges done.

Quilting Nonnie said...

I think the shape just adds to the quilt...happy accident! I love the idea of the crystals too. The name is very appropriate too!

Kaelyn Angelfoot said...

Its adorable!

Janet O. said...

Well, for flying by the seat of your pants as you created it, you sure pulled together a lovely little quilt. : ) I love the shape, the name and the meaning behind it. Well done!

liniecat said...

I just love this little quilt and the shape is such a nice change from the standard rectangular!

Chantal said...

Love it and your description is so true. Your work is quite an inspiration in both as a quilt and as in words of wisdom. Congrats on an adorable finished.

Kate said...

Beautifully done. What a great interpretation of the challenge theme.

Scrappy quilter said...

Oh my I do like this one. Love the colors.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I like the faux piping on the corner binding, and the circular quilting.

Lisa J. said...

This little quilt is awesome too (saw the bigger one first). I really like that you only cut off two corners it gives it a great shape.