Monday, April 27, 2020

Unity on the Design Wall

I have been enjoying the Unity mystery project by Bonnie Hunter at Quiltville. My 'logical' brain told me not to start another project, but my 'suffering from social deprivation in the pandemic' brain said... go ahead, you NEED this treat!


I have spent many happy hours cutting little pieces and even brought out one of my precious vintage machines to sew these blocks. First I had to find the exact 1/4" seam allowance because there is no wiggle room with these small blocks. This seam guide ruler is perfect for the job. I put painters tape on the machine bed to show me where to line up the pieces being sewn.

This is my set up for sewing and pressing.

Sewing on 1952 Charity Singer







I am sewing the blocks together in rows and using the Shoo Fly blocks as leader-ender pieces. See how the thread spool is sitting on the sewing machine bed? Apparently Aurifil thread likes to be unwound from the top and not the side, so the tension of the stitches was more even when I put the spool there instead of on the spool pin.
Here is my progress so far. Part 3 has been put on the quilt and I just love it!

I'm pretty tickled about that dotty sashing fabric that I had to piece to make it useable to finish up this round.
I have just started part 4 but look at this...
my friend Nancy has already finished this sewing and it looks fantastic! I'm excited that we will have quilts that are cousins...similar DNA but very unique! 


Part 5 is posted today at Quiltville and I'm going to try not to look at it until I finish sewing part 4... just to postpone the suspense! We need every bit of fun and excitement and things to look forward to while we're staying safe at home.
Linking up to Small Quilts

11 comments:

Julie in GA said...

I love how your Unity quilt is coming together, and your friend Nancy's looks great too!

Chantal said...

Way to go, Kathy. Yes, we do need every little bit of fun and excitement. Enjoy! ;^)

Deanna W said...

Enjoy your sewing and we all deserve a surprise or two and a new project to work on!

Rebecca said...

One of the things I love about Bonnies sew alongs is seeing all the "same" but different quilts because of color choices. Love your word play on your quilt.

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE how your quilt is coming together (and Nancy's, too!!!)

Nann said...

Wonderful!

Elle said...

I concur on the Aurifil. I put mine on the table behind my machine and loop it around the pin as you did.

Great job on UNITY!!!!

Laura said...

Your quilt looks great! I might start Unity this week. We will be under a stay at home until mid June, so I could get it done.

Bonnie said...

Your Unity quilt is looking great. Love the concept of "cousin" quilts. Have a happy sew day today.

ButterZ said...

I heard a while ago about which way your thread works best . If it is wound straight on the spool it either lays down or stands up when sewing and if it is wound cris cross it is used the opposite way. Only thing is I can't remember which way is which.. OH NO!!!!

Louise said...

You have done a fantastic job choosing colors and values on this! The outer row of stars really sparkle with the alternating star points. Brava!