Saturday, February 29, 2020

Scrappy Saturday

I have written a series of posts this past week about my quilt retreat. One of the best things about being at retreat is getting fabrics scraps from other quilters! Besides accepting gifted scraps from friends, I have also been known to rescue pieces out of the trash bin, such as some of the scraps in these sweet Shoo Fly blocks.


SO DARN CUTE Shoo Fly blocks!
I particularly like the teal block in the middle which features pig bums, the block above that which features mountie hats, and the bottom left block which features a robin.  Now where are you going to find that kind of variety and unique fabrics except at a quilt retreat?!?


transitioning from orange to teal scraps!
I had so much fun cutting and sewing these little 4" blocks that the Shoo Fly project constantly threatened to derail my daily sewing goals! I endure a lot of good natured ribbing from my fellow retreaters who like to tease me about the quilting tangents I fly/sew off on!

Here in the Shoo Fly collection on the design wall with a total of 96 blocks made so far.


I am constantly going back and forth between the idea of adding sashing, and just sewing them all together. Thoughts?
Linking up to the weekly Rainbow Scrap Challenge party.

15 comments:

Cathy said...

If you did lashings with cornerstones, you’d have mini shoo fly blocks at all the corners.

Chantal said...

Since the block is so small, I personally wouldn't add sashing to every block. If the blocks were grouped in a 3X3 block then I would add sashing. IMHO. I know you will come up with something wonderful. Just sleep on it. ;^)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Your own little I Spy blocks.

Debi said...

Wow, I love your blocks!

Sarah said...

Great collection of blocks! To add sashing or not? I quite like the idea a previous comment made, of grouping them and then sashing. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Deb A said...

What a great collection of blocks! I'd let them rest for a bit and the perfect solution will hit you - you always come up with wonderful and fun quilts.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

These are very cute. I have a box of scraps I need to use and am looking forward to some machine time this summer when the heat arrives.

Karen said...

I like the block with the bird in the center.

Karrin Hurd said...

Love your scrap saves, and especially the bird and pig bums!

SandraC said...

I think I'd opt for sashing, only to avoid the bulk of the points from each of blocks meeting up side by side. Clear as mud?

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Wow, that is a lot of little blocks! I like Chantal's idea of combining some into a larger block to then sash. I was thinking 2x2 would be nice, making an 8-inch block.

grammajudyb said...

I’m so glad to know I am not the only one to “rescue “ fabric from the trash! My quilting friends are starting to just save them for me rather than take them to the trash can!! I have made 3 quilts and am starting on a second crocheted rug with just my scraps!

Nann said...

One quilter's trash can be another quilter's treasure. Are these 4" finished? I think that sashing would make it easier to deal with all the seams but I like the bunched-together-cheerful-business of the blocks set side-by-side. What about setting them in 9's? Or 4's?

Nann said...

....that's busy-ness, not business!

Susie H said...

Beautiful shoo-fly blocks! Whichever way you decide on sashing or not, it's going to be a stunner!