Thursday, April 30, 2020

Finished UFO!

My April project was a relatively new UFO. It was started in August of 2018 which means this quilt was finished within 2 years. That is quite a miraculous happening in my quilty world!

Anita's Arrowhead




These blue arrowhead blocks are 9" and the most fun blocks to sew. The free pattern can still be found here. I like making this block so much that I am also making a scrappy miniature arrowhead quilt using 3.5" blocks.


All the quilting was done with the walking foot. 
Boring stitch-in-the-ditch. Boring. 
Vertical, horizontal and 3 diagonal lines in both directions across every quilt block. 
Snore. Boring. 

I know some people really enjoy straight line quilting, but I do not. However, this quilt was very happy with it and it turned out to be an effective choice for this quilt. And maybe it was the perfect pandemic activity when my brain is tired from trying to learn so many other things in this new reality.


I used the 6" ruler with painter's tape so I could easily line up the diagonal on the ruler with the border seam, draw the 45 degree angle extending the quilting line into the border, and then stitch to the edge. 
I did that 112 times!




The binding was made up of leftover backing scraps plus one blue FQ that I scavenged from "the twist" mystery project. These black gold Clover needles are my favourites, but a needle threader is an essential tool since the needle eye is so small.

Here is how the quilt looks from the back. The fabric is called "Bella Suede" from P & B Textiles.
Pretty cool quilting design!
Finished size: 55.25" x 79.75"

quilt finished as the forsythia blooms
Proudly linking up to One Monthly GoalFavourite Finish at Meadow Mist, and Alycia's Finished (or not) Friday.

29 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Beautiful finish, Kathy! Congratulations.

earthmotherwithin said...

Congratulations, looks fantastic

Deb A said...

Congrats! You did a great job meeting your goal. The back of the quilt looks amazing.

Norece said...

It’s so pretty!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Congratulations on a gorgeous finish. I like to straight line quilt - lots of breaks, but I love it.

Frog Quilter said...

Great finish and the quilting is perfect.

Barb said...

woo hoo great finish and the quilting is fabulous!

Lynn C. said...

What a beautiful quilt! And the quilting is just right for a great finish. Thank you for supplying the link to the pattern.

Deanna W said...

Great finish! Sometimes we just have to do something simple and boring to get back into the sewing game! The back of the quilt looks amazing...I always like to look at the quilting and you can't always see the stitching on the front!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

That is a great finish! I think my brain is turning to mush too, straight lines made a wonderful quilting pattern on your Anita's Arrowhead.

Beth French said...

Beautiful!Anita came to my quilt guild here in Maine one year. She really has a different way of analyzing quilt patterns. I have always wanted to make one of these arrowhead quilts using her pattern. Love those blues!

Patty said...

Gorgeous! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

LES is More said...

I use my walking foot to quilt all my quilts because I can't afford to send them to my LAQ! I also use a ruler to mark my borders, but instead of tape, I mark them with a hera marker. The indentation left behind can sometimes be hard to see, but it doesn't have to be washed out and doesn't leave a stain. And I am always out of tape! Your quilt is so pretty and I am jealous at how your seams all match up!

Nann said...

Lovely blues! The block concept is like one of Missouri Star's. I look forward to seeing the mini version.

Janet O. said...

Oh, this quilt makes my heart sing!! It took courage to do all of that boring quilting, but it was perfect for the quilt. Kudos, Kathy--it is a stunner!

Florida Farm Girl said...

Great job! Love all those blue fabrics.

Sarah said...

What a lovely finish. The arrow head is now one of my favourite blocks but I've never made a full quilt. It's on my to do list!

Jenny said...

Such a beautiful blue quilt, and the simple straight line quilting is perfect!

Angela said...

Congratulations on a great finish! Quarantine has to be good for something. Crossing UFOs off the list is a nice way to pass the time.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I agree - the straight line quilting is great for this quilt and the back is just as "wow!" as the front!

loulee said...

What a beautiful quilt, I love the way you quilted it, straight lines was the only way to go.

ButterZ said...

You did a wonderful job on the quilting. It makes for a great finish.. well done

Louise said...

You're right: SITD is perfect for this quilt! It really accentuates the fun shape and piecing of the blocks. Beautiful finish in beautiful blues! :)

Karrin Hurd said...

Congratulations on your finish, it is beautiful! I love those blues!

Rebecca Grace said...

Such a pretty finish, Kathy! Love all those different shades of blue and white, and the forsythia complemented the quilt beautifully for the photo shoot. Great job on the quilt AND the photo styling! :-)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Nice quilt. Yes, straight line quilting gets boring, but I can't free motion, so, it's what I do. I tend to put on headphones and listen to a book, to keep me interested (headphones block out most of the machine noise).

Cheryl said...

Great quilt! Thanks for linking up to the Favorite Finishes Monthly Party!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Congrats on an awesome finish!!! I love blues so this one just sings for me! and the quilting was really perfect for it!!

beaquilter said...

Squeal!!!! Love it. I'm going to look up the pattern.