Monday, April 13, 2020

Unity and Courage

This weekend I enjoyed the challenge of creating the second round following Bonnie Hunter's Unity quiltalong.

I was delighted to discover that all the bonus HSTs from step #1 were the perfect size to use for this round. Did Bonnie do this on purpose to make me happy? I think so! It took a while to figure out how many HST blocks I need to make all the square in a square blocks. 

I decided to alternate the centres using the leftover blue and raspberry blocks from last week. I was going to make all the star points yellow, but it was too bright so I added in some happy greens and I loved that.

Then I worked on the inside corners blocks using the blue fabric and although it didn't turn out as I had thought it would, it was "good enough". 



I only had enough blocks for 3 sides of the quilt... what to do? I decided to add a different border to the bottom of the quilt using letters from the Word Play Quilts book.

The word that kept coming to my mind as I was sewing this weekend ...was courage.


I am so amazed by the courage that some extraordinary humans show, day after day, in terrible circumstances, putting their life and/or their own mental health on the line for others, many of whom have no appreciation for their sacrifice. And yet they show up the next day and show courage yet again. And for some of us, very day that we get up and live another day in the times of COVID19 requires courage!

I made the letters from one of Libs Elliot's fabrics from her Wild Side line of fabric. I used 1.5" strips of white and green to free piece the letters. I was amazed that the 7 letters turned out to be the perfect length to add to the bottom of the quilt. 


There is one more narrow border to add all the way around before I can start step #3 which will be posted today. 
Linking up to Small Quilts.

16 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Now your unity quilt will be totally unique. I'm sure Bonnie will love seeing it.

The Joyful Quilter said...

AWESOME addition/substitution to your Unity QAL quilt, Kathy!! Brilliant!

Chantal said...

Love the idea, Kathy, and it looks great. Bravo! ;^)

Deanna W said...

I think it takes courage to deviate from a pattern and do your own thing. Love the word play at the edge of the quilt...when you don't have enough fabric...CREATE!!!

Sadly I have not started this mystery as yet...maybe after today's clue it will entice me more.

Rebecca said...

Oh My...
I like the colors you decided to play with and I love!!!! the word play.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It is looking good - and I am glad it is making you happy!

Christine said...

Well done, Kathy. I agree with Deanna’s comment. It takes Courage to deviate from the pattern and you have done it so well with colour, throw-away HST and improvising!

sue s said...

Ooh, I'm only at the cutting out stage for clue 2, but I have all those cut off HSTs, so I'm going to try to use them! Great idea for the lettering.

Ellie said...

What a perfect addition to this quilt. Just fits the circumstances so well and will make this the best of commemorative quilts!

Kathy S. said...

LOVE your colors! AND your "courage". What a fun word! Happy stitching, Kathy!

Louise said...

I love this! And admit it made me a little teary :)

Robin said...

Amazing the way things turn out. It looks so great.

AnnieO said...

Beautiful! Love your edits to the design on this quilt. Courage is definitely needed in this crazy time. My block in Tonya's quilt is on the cover...

maggie fellow said...

oh the word will make it so special.

Lisa in Port Hope said...

What a great way to personalize this quilt! I've got most of the first two rounds cut out but nothing sewn yet. Perhaps tonight?

Karen said...

The color combo for your quilt is marvelous!