Wednesday, April 29, 2020

April Miniature

I finished my April mini quilt with one day to spare!
working on the layout on my messy sewing table
The seeds of this quilt were donated "cut off corner" triangles from a red and white quilt that my friend Jackie made. Instead of throwing them in the garbage, she gifted them to me. They were a range of sizes and it took a long time to get all the triangles turned into HSTs, then squared up to similar sizes, and sewn together in pinwheel blocks. 
No triangle was left behind! 
Then the blocks waited for another couple of years, aging to perfection.

Then I sewed similar sized pinwheels together and ended up with 15 blocks of different sizes. White sashing and borders were added and the quilting was done by walking foot... simple straight lines.

The HSTs in the centre block are .5" and there are 36 of them in that 3" block! So tiny and adorable! There are a total of 116 HSTs in this quilt (anyone want to check the math for me?!?! LOL)  and the finished size is 15.5" x 15.5".

I couldn't resist taking a photo of the quilt in the backyard to show that the rhubarb patch is up and the grass is turning green! Spring is finally here!
Hop over to The Constant Quilter later this week where Wendy will post the links for the April miniature finishes.

28 comments:

Chantal said...

Gorgeous!! Wow, that's really teeny tiny HSTs. Awesome job. Love the binding; just perfect. Congrats! ;^)

Chris said...

That is so adorable! I need to check my rhubarb patch. It's behind the house where I seldom venture.

Christine said...

Amazing work, Kathy. I love it! I give you so much credit for “no triangle left behind”!

Linda Eaves said...

Very nice quilt. Love the different size pinwheels!

Florida Farm Girl said...

Oh, you brave girl! I've used leftover half square triangles to make one miniature but they were only 1 inch. Can't even imagine trying to work with half inch. I've been following along for a few weeks now but don't recall whether I've commented or not. You know, that CRS disease (can't remember "stuff"). I do continue to save all the cut off half squares.

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW much fun!!! You did a great join combining the various sizes of Bonus HSTs into a cohesive mini quilt. Nice work, Kathy!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a wonderful finish, Kathy! I love how you grouped the different HST sizes, and that red and white is so pretty!

Deanna W said...

You do like those mini blocks! Look at your rhubarb...I am hoping the rain we get this week will help ours along. Looking forward to fresh rhubarb muffins!!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I love your red and white quilt--I keep saying I am going to make a red and white quilt--someday!!!
I have started to keep all those little triangles we trim off our hst--but whether I will ever really use them--is to be seen???
have an awesome day-
luv, di

Janet O. said...

Oh, you just proved the theory that quilts from "cast-offs" are the best!!

Jenny said...

What a lovely outcome with all those little bits!
We have a rhubarb patch too, and it is late Autumn down here in New Zealand. So it was time to dig it up, split the corms (is that what they are called?) and replant them. Gave the garden a good feed of horse manure too, rhubarb loves it! Pleased to notice that some new leaves are appearing.

Frog Quilter said...

Absolutely adorable!!!

Nana said...

How beautiful!!!! you patience are amazing to work with such small triangles. Great job.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

All I can say is, "Wow". I can't even imagine making all those tiny half squares and having them line up so perfectly. Such an inspiration! I love it. Thanks for sharing another great mini!

Karen said...

The pinwheel centers are just perfect!

Barb said...

Your mini is as sweet as a piece of candy! That is what I thought the moment I saw it - SWEET!
Your striped binding is a charming flourish

Barb said...

What do you do with the rhubarb? jam? pie?

Paula said...

Thanks for sharing this cute quilt. I love the tiny triangles in the center block. Amazing!

Sandy said...

Scrap triangles, with "no triangle left behind" ! That's right up my alley! I love it!

MissPat said...

I've just been sewing up some pinwheels using bonus HST cutoffs, but nothing to compare to your itty, bitty ones. Wish I still had rhubarb. And I've lost my replacement source.
Pat

SallyC said...

What a super cute little quilt!

Louise said...

What a fabulous little piece! Those teensy HSTs just sparkle in the center :)

Laura said...

Wow! Love, love, love!!!!

Cheryl D. said...

I love that “no triangles were left behind”. Your patience is incredible. It’s a very sweet quilt.

Quilting Babcia said...

That is an utterly adorable mini quilt! Fabulous use of all those red and white HST's!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Wow, what a mini! Those are some tiny pieces. You really did your friend's extra blocks justice and turned them into something wonderful.

ButterZ said...

Beautiful finish and your rhubarb looks fantastic. Yummy

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

How cute!