Monday, April 06, 2020

Unity Quiltalong

Of course I had to join in the Bonnie Hunter COVID19 mystery quiltalong
step #1 blocks
I just couldn't miss out on any of that fun! The plan was to use up some civil war reproduction stash for this project, but when I got them ready to cut, they were just too dull looking. I needed some brighter, cheerier fabrics. 

Unity centre
This is what I ended up with for the centre of this medallion mystery using small pieces from my stash...
a Kaffe Fassett yellow paperweight, some blue butterflies, a raspberry red, random neutrals.
Each section going forward will be made from whatever fabrics strike my fancy from the stash. So fun!

AND I also have an adorable collection of 2" bonus triangles to use at some point. I sewed a second line on all the corners of the double diamonds, and pressed and trimmed these HST blocks as I was sewing. Please tell me you would never throw all this wonderfulness in the trash?!?


And here is my mystery friend's Unity centre... totally different colours and same fun design. Later on today I hope to post another version that another friend is making. It's so interesting to see all the variations of the same design.

Linking up to Small Quilts and then I'm popping over to Quiltville to see what we're doing for step #2.

Addendum:
Here is another version by one of mystery quilting friends. It's so cool how the quilts are similar and yet different... kind of like humans in general!

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

While I seldom ( read never) do a mystery I love watching Bonnies mystery because of how all the colors change quilt to quilt.... big lesson on how color makes so much difference in the same pattern.

Deanna W said...

Oh no you have jumped ahead of me.Guess I better do some stash diving and find some fabric.

sue s said...

Today's Unity post is HUGE! I'll be slowing down on this one now. I had hoped for small rounds of blocks, but I should have known better!!

Mary said...

Beautiful . I made mine on Saturday. I need to post it to the Blog and Instagram. You'll know it's mine, Purple, Pink & Green

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I love all those centers--so bright and cherry--I did get mine done--but not in as nearly bright colors--but then I don't have those colors in my stash--but I did so much sewing last week--I flared up my right static in my right hip and leg and so have had to take a couple days off from sewing on the sewing machine--silly me!!
also I just knew you would jump on board--glad you did--now I have someone I need to keep up with!!
take care-
luv, di

Bonnie said...

Love your colors. I definitely skipped another of Bonnie's wonderful mystery. Too many UFOs right now. Enjoyed seeing all the different versions too.

Rebecca Grace said...

Love seeing those designs in different color schemes, and yours is especially cheery and pretty!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh I love what you came up with!!!

Kate said...

I was going to pass on this one, but I keep seeing all the gorgeous versions everyone is coming up with and I think I'm going to have to jump in over the 3 day weekend. Love your color choices and looking forward to seeing what your next round looks like.