Monday, July 15, 2019

Design Wall Monday - Arrowhead

My blue Arrowhead quilt top is done! This project was started at a class with Deb Beirnes last summer. The original project was a 30 block quilt, but I really liked making these 9" blocks, so I kept making more blocks until I had enough for a larger quilt. There is a lot of sewing in this project, and it's all bias seams, so I am incredibly proud that the quilt top lays relatively flat.

I don't spend a lot of time on layout because it drives me crazy. I used to rearrange blocks endlessly. And I mean for hours, always thinking there must be a correct layout where everything is perfect. But in rearranging blocks, you fix one thing you didn't like and create something else you don't like.  And it's one of the hang ups that used to result in piles of blocks and unfinished projects being stored in the UFO closet, because I couldn't get it "right". 

I have been greatly inspired by Cathy over at the Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilting blog as she creates incredible quilts with random block placement. 
It is my goal to be more like her, and 'go with the flow', and spend less time fussing over layouts, and more time actually enjoying finishing my quilts!
This quilt top measures 54" x 81" and that's a good size for this one, so I don't think I'm going to add a border, and just bind with a navy blue.
To see my miniature project using a 3.5" version of this Arrowhead block click here.
To see more design wall postings, hop over to Small Quilts.

23 comments:

CathieJ said...

Your quilt is gorgeous. What a lot of work! So glad it lays flat with all those bias pieces.

Nann said...

I'm with you: block placement can be crazy-making. Your layout sparkles!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love this one - the pattern and the colors

Cathy said...

Very striking. I love it. Hugs

MissPat said...

I spend way too much time rearranging blocks, too. And I still wind up with the same fabric close to itself. I'm trying to over it, but, you're right, it's hard. This one looks wonderful.
Pat

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Love your blue Arrowhead! I made a scrappy one years ago with charm squares, but now I think I need to make a bigger version! Rearranging can be so aggravating. I'm working on putting together 121 blocks and was making myself crazy until I threw up my hands and just sewed them together. There are a few blocks that would look better in other places, but it is what it is--lol!

Needled Mom said...

That is beautiful. I love all the different fabrics in it.

diamondc said...

Kathy: This is a beautiful quilt top, thank-you for sharing with us.

Catherine

Linda C said...

I made one from a layer cake and scraps. It measure 81x81. On my bed now...love it! And the bias edges didn't seem to be a problem...just do it quick and handle with care!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I love your random block top--and I know what you mean--you 'fix' one row and later after you sew them together--you discover you really goofed it up for the other rows--so like your new 'plan'--came out delightful--
luv, di

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful quilt!

Laura said...

Looks wonderful, Kathy!

Janet O. said...

This design really speaks to me, but I am trying not to listen. I do NOT need to start anything new. And your mini version isn't helping me ignore the conversation!

Sandy said...

WOW, WOW, and WOW!! It turned out wonderful. It looks so involved I can't believe you've got it done already! Fantastic.
Sandy's Space

Kathy S. said...

It's stunning! I have yet to make a blue/white scrap quilt. Yours may have bumped mine up on my bucket list. I'm trying to finish some other things first... but you know how that goes. Happy stitching!

audrey said...

This is absolutely fabulous looking! Loving the blurred looking blocks so much. The value changes really make this quilt look so good!

Nancy said...

What a stunning quilt! I've noticed the same things you have about rearranging blocks continually, always finding one more that needs changed. I hope I can become more like you and Cathy! I'm impressed that you used all bias edges and the top looks amazingly flat. Well done!

Carol Swift said...

Oh my gosh, this is a gorgeous quilt...love it!

Mary said...

I remember when you atarted this one. A navy border sounds perfect to frame it!!

Cathy said...

I love that block and gave it a try years ago but didn't like making it at that time. Maybe I should find those orphan blocks and give it another go????

I can't even tell you sewed together randomly because it looks so wow-wow. Now that you save time because you don't rearrange endlessly you have more time to make more quilts I'll bet! (or at least time to start more).

Deanna W said...

I so love the blues!!

Kate said...

Beautiful! Finalizing block settings and layouts is always a slow down point for me too, so please blog more about how you manage to get over that hump.

beaquilter said...

This is awesome I loved seeing your beautiful blocks!