Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Tripping down memory lane...


'Caroline Chains' is a fun Bonnie Hunter pattern that was in her 'Addicted to Scraps' column in the Quiltmaker magazine. 

I started these blocks as a leader-ender project in 2010. All the blocks were made from batik scraps with dots. I don't know why I had so many of these dotty batiks, but the block pattern inspired me to start sewing them. 

So why am I taking a trip down memory lane and writing about this today? 
Two reasons:
1) I saw Kevin's version using this same block pattern on his blog last week and it's amazing! He is finishing it for his parents for Christmas. Go ahead and check it out here. Isn't it amazing?!?!
2) The pattern for this quilt is now available for free over at the C and T website. You can get the whole pattern now with clear diagrams and great instructions ... go now... it's free! It also includes excellent general information about how to sew a quilt on point. (I have no affiliation to the publisher or the author. I'm just a fan of both, and also a fan of free quilting stuff!)


Here is my quilt using the Carolina Chains block pattern. I used a straight set layout and finished my quilt in 2014.
Both Bonnie and Kevins' quilts have the blocks set on point, but my blocks are straight set with the border blocks set on point. Even though the border math was a bit of a nightmare, this was a happy quilt project that I really enjoyed making!

11 comments:

Rebecca said...

Love the straight set and then the on point for the border!!

Mary said...

Great scrap buster. C & T are nice to put it on there Free. I think it's in the Addicted to Scraps book.

Suzanne said...

I really like this block pattern...thank you for sharing it with us. I know I have plenty of scraps to bust!

Deb A said...

Thanks for the link and what a pretty quilt. Hmmmm maybe a RSC Challenge block next year ? Time will tell....

Janice Holton said...

So glad you shared this but to be honest, I like your version the best. :)

Lynne Stucke said...

I LOVE the way you set these blocks . . . even better than the original design!!!!

I think that's one of the things I love about quilt-making: you can take someone else's design, 'tweak' it a little, and come up with something that better suits your tastes. I also love that you gave Bonnie Hunter credit for the original design. Kudos to you on both counts!!!

Kevin the Quilter said...

Kathy! Your Carolina Chain is GORGEOUS! I am sure I saw this before, but, thanks for the refresher! I love your straight setting, and the border compliments the quilt so well! Thanks for the shout out friend!

Kris said...

Oh, I LOVE your quilt!! How better can it get - batiks and dots all in one quilt!!

Janet O. said...

I love the way you put the blocks straight and the border on point. Very nice effect.
Thanks for the link to the pattern!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I saw Kevin's AWESOME Carolina Chain quilt AND the link to the FREE pattern. Thanks for sharing, anyway!! LOVE your version of the pattern, too.

audrey said...

Kevin's quilt is wonderful, but yours is beautiful! Love, love that border work!