Friday, December 29, 2017

Bags - part #3

When you are a competent sewing machine user, aka "a sewist", you are often asked to repair things that might otherwise be thrown into the trash. I don't really enjoy repair jobs, but I do want to keep things out the landfill and am willing to do mending as needed.




My Mom has an old cloth bag she got in Missouri and really liked. She used it so much it wore completely out on one side. Can you see how it is open most of the way down the seam?




First I sewed back and forth over the area, joining it together with thread...back and forth, back and forth approximately a million times.




Then I changed sewing machines to use the only zigzag machine I have. I know it's odd that I have so many machines, but only one that has specialty stitches! I just don't use anything but a straight stitch most of the time. I made a patch from a piece of book fabric, sewn double thickness, right sides together around the outside, and turned inside out. I straight stitched around the outside of the patch to secure the placement, and then zigzagged around the outside edge. There are also a few lines of stitching down the middle to further secure the patch.




Mission accomplished!  
The Mark Twain bag is revived for a few more days of service! Mom was happy to have her favourite bag back and to be able to use it once again. I wonder how long the repair will hold up?

Thanks for reading along with the BAGS blog series this week! Tomorrow we will be back to our regularly scheduled programming :)

11 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Clever patch using book fabric, great idea!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love Hannibal Mo - there is a great quilt shop in the downtown area near the museum - I bet she went there if she is a quilter.

Deanna W said...

As much as I love Christmas...I can't wait for life to get back to regular scheduled programming!!!

piecefulwendy said...

I don't usually like to mend things either, but sometimes it just makes sense to do so. Looks like a good fix for the bag. It will probably hang in there longer than you think! I'm currently working on a bag for my daughter before she leaves to go back to grad school. I'm kind of winging it, so we'll see if it turns out. I should have it finished today, so fingers crossed!

Chantal said...

Like you, I don't like mending but it is a necessary chores like washing dishes. Yuck! You did an excellent job with the bag. It is so pretty that no one can tell it's a repair job. Kudos! ;^)

Lyndsey said...

Your repair job looks great and should last quite some time. I too hate doing repair work but it's very satisfying when it's finished

Janet O. said...

Has been almost 30 years since I went to Hannibal. Loved it!
You did a very thorough repair job. Should last much more than a few more days!! :)
I have been called upon to do many repairs, for hubby and sons, and my brother (whose wife does not sew--and now that my Mom doesn't sew anymore, I am the "go to" for him, and sometimes even for Mom).

Kate said...

What a great fix! Time to failure probably has a lot to do with what your Mom uses the bag for. Hopefully you've given it at least a year's more use.

Louise said...

It looks good with the book patch! Mark Twain would have approved :) I'm with you on repairs. Don't really love doing them, but hate throwing things into the landfill!

AnnieO said...

I’m called upon occasionally to do mending jobs, but not as often as I used to! Great fix with the book fabric for Mr. Twain!

Sarah said...

Your three blog posts on bags to help reduce plastic waste are right on trend at the moment. We've just finished watching BBC blue planet and the last episode is all about plastic in our oceans and there is talk of including it into school curriculums in the UK. great idea!