Sunday, December 03, 2017

Slow Sunday Stitching



Welcome to the weekly link up that celebrates the art of hand stitching! We hope you will make time today to put some stitches into your project and enjoy the benefits of relaxing hand work.



This week I finished hand stitching 282" of binding on my 2016 Aurifil BOM quilt. It's one of my favourite hand stitching tasks, so the time was very enjoyable. 
While I stitched, I watched the Bletchley Circle on Netflix. My friend Sandy's Mom was a Bletchley girl and that gave me added interest in watching the 7 episode series. There was more violence than I usually tolerate in what I chose to watch, but I continued with it since it was inspiring to watch brilliant women solve mysteries, and hold people and organizations accountable.

Today I will be working on my top secret Christmas knitting project. I finished the first prototype and learned how to do the Kitchener stitch. 
I couldn't understand the written pattern instructions, so watched a few examples on Youtube before I found the perfect instructional video by Purl Soho. I was able to follow her instructions, but my efforts did not turn out right because I had the pieces inside out. I put knit sides together instead of purl sides together. The end result is definitely not giftable, but I do hope that piece #2 will turn out much better. 
What are you hand stitching today? Are your efforts resulting in satisfactory outcomes? Are you making any gifts for Christmas? Link up your blog post below and share your hand stitching project with us.

   

    An InLinkz Link-up
   

13 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

I love doing binding too. I am half way through binding a kid’s quilt for the CAS...one of the charity projects of the guild I belong to in London. Learning to knit is on my list of things to do when I retire. Maybe a nice cup of David’s tea will help you to get lots done today...

Gretchen Weaver said...

That great that you've finished the binding on your Aurifil quilt. Good luck with your knitting. The next mystery project should go better since you've figured out what you've done wrong with the first one. I also have watched the Bletchley Circle when it was on PBS, There actually is a season 2 but I couldn't watch it, too much gore. Happy stitching or knitting this week! I'm enjoying your daily posts for the month.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I remember watching Bletchley Circle...I think I had DVDs. Very good series!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love the Bletchley Circle series I wish it had been longer - it was one of those shows that I could have binge watched for days.

Sherrie said...

Hi Kathy,
Binding is my least favorite ting to do. Good luck with your knitting. Have a great stitching day!

Deb said...

Stitching binding is so relaxing, good luck on the knitting project.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I watched Bletchley Circle when it ran on PBS. I wonder if there will be a new season. I hope your second try on the knitting project goes better--can't wait to see what it will be!

Suzanne said...

Binding is my main companion for the next few weeks...miles and miles of binding....

Angie in SoCal said...

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Bletchley Circle. Wish they'd do more series based on fact like that. Congrats on your binding accomplishment.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

I have four quilts awaiting binding--maybe my winter project. Thank goodness for YouTube--pulled my bacon out of the fire more than once

Nancy said...

Me, too, about stitching the binding to the back of a quilt. It's easy sewing and means I'm finished with the quilt. (I don't like measuring and sewing the binding to the front of a quilt, though.) Best wishes for your knitting success. Thanks for hosting Slow Sunday Stitching, Kathy.

Miaismine said...

I am enjoying crocheting up prayer shawls for cancer patients as well as the Advent Calendar for my grandbabies...my Dallas Cowboys quilt has caused me to become friends with my seam ripper...that's ok....I like making new friends and maintaining old friends! :) Good luck with your #2!

Kate said...

Good luck with the Christmas gift making. Hope you find some nice time to sit and stitch for a bit, it's nice to slow down during what can be a very hectic season.