It takes a lot of time to sort through a big UFO closet of a long time quilter. It's like the closet in The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe... there is a whole other world in there! You can peek in, but once you step in, you could be gone for hours. Here's a video clip from the movie that shows exactly how I looked peeking into the UFO closet (although I am a little bit taller than Lucy!)
Here is my UFO list for 2017, many of which have been in various stages of production for many years... never give up hope!
1) Scrap Dance Tango - this project needs a fabulous border fabric (still to be found) and quilting to finish.
2) Broken Dishes - this project is currently a pile of blocks from a block swap this year. All fabrics are red reproduction fabrics and I have the perfect layout in mind. I hope to work on this at quilt camp in February.
3) Allietare - This quilt top was finished in November and needs to be quilted. It's fairly large for me to quilt myself, but I'm going to attempt it!
4) Aurifil BOM - I have one more paper pieced block to sew and then the blocks can be sewn into a quilt top.
5) The Bear - this was a quiltalong from Sew Fresh Quilts that I had hoped to finish for Christmas. It was not even close to being finished! I have ideas for a fun border, but need the time to work on it.
7) Pink Improv quilt - this was started at a Quilt Canada class last year. It's a fun quilt and it needs to be finished.
8) Spools - this is an epic Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt started in 2013. It's a really fun project and although it's large, I'd like to try machine quilting it myself.
8) Scrap Vortex - started in a quiltalong with Crazy Mom Quilts. It's my favourite scrap quilt ever and I want to finish it this year.
9) Quiltbug Mystery - this was the Super Bowl project from last year, so it's not that old! It just needs to be machine quilted and I want to donate it to my local guild's comfort quilt project, so hope to finish it in the first half of 2017.
10) Kissy Fishy - this was another Sew Fresh Quilts pattern that I really loved. It needs more blocks and quilting.
11) Log Cabin - this project was started by a friend of mine in 2013, pieced in 2014 and 2015, and finally became a quilt top last year. Maybe this year it will become a finished quilt?!
12) Grand Illusion - this Quiltville mystery was started in 2014 and hasn't had much attention in about 2 years. I sewed with yardage on this mystery and discovered that it just didn't appeal to me. I found out that I am a true scrappy quilter! Also the design was a bit too frenetic for me, so I didn't really enjoy working on it. But it's time for it to be finished and move out of my sewing space.
So that's the grand 2017 UFO list. Some of these projects are easy finishes and some are more complex, but they all want to become finished quilts, so wish me luck! To help me stay on track with my UFO goals, I will be linking up with One Monthly Goal and Patchwork Times.
You have some wonderful projects on your list. I don't list UFO's any more - too much of a mode quilter and makes it hard to stick to a list - like failing on a resolution.
A fun list of projects. You did pretty well on your UFOs this year. Wishing you even better success with your 2017 list.
great projects, isn't it fun getting them out and taking pictures! motivates you to do something with them!!
Boy, if I added 12 UFO's to my project list, I wouldn't be able to do anything else all year. I have one UFO that I really want to finish this next year. We'll see about the others when that one is done. Good luck.
I feel so good now to know that I have only six that I am working on, one waiting to be hand quilted and one half way finished with the hand quilting (just about) of course I'm sure I will be starting more scrappy goodness before any of these are finished!
Why don't you make a simple pieced border for Scrap Dance Tango? It looks like something that would work if you can't find that perfect fabric! Love seeing your UFO lineup. I've been reading it for years and know what you mean about never giving up! You've eventually got to some that had been haunting your forever!
You are so close to having all the blocks done for the Aurafil piece. I hope you finish that one this year.
They're all wonderful! Which would make it hard to choose which one to finish first, of course. No wonder they're UFOs... (Which explains all my UFOs, too. How could I pick just one to work on next? Right?)
Those are going to be wonderful finishes. My UFOs are sorted and packaged all together but way too many for me to admit to. LOL
I look forward to following your progress.
Happy New Year!
Great projects, but you don't have nearly enough! I have 25 tops alone that need quilted! Then there all those other projects that are started. I used to do a list, but then I got scared of it! I do have a goal of finishing 52 projects this year. We shall see!
Lots of quilting in your future! I'm with you on the love of scrappy--can't see myself making a quilt from only yardage very often! Good luck on making these UFOs into real quilts in 2017.
Lots of your projects are well on their way to being finished. 2017 is the year! Whohoo! Can't wait to see your WIP list cut down. While taking pictures of things on my WIP list I found more WIPS. Yikes. I'm at 82. Gotta get that down next year... LOL. It's those people like Lorna at Sew Fresh Quilts that keep tempting me with darling patterns!
Grand Illusion didn't do anything for me either. It was just too confusing to look at. Your version is much calmer and more easy on the eyes.
All wonderful flimsy finishes! Fabulous work this year!
lots of great stiff in there! ( I did NOT like grand illusion, either. it was a big, jumbled mess... and don't get me started on those borders!) I'm wondering if your #1 would be fine with just a dark blue/red/purple border?
I really like your grand illusion. I made it with the recommended colors, had it quilted and I can't give it away. Yours turned out beautifully.
Well done organising your UFOs to make a list for next year. Some of my UFOs were so old, I got them out and looked at them with new eyes - hmmm... didn't like it that way, and turned it into something else instead! Haha.
I even considered a UFO swap, so that someone could make whatever they want out of what I started.
Right, UFOs, Let's do it Kathy!
What a great collection of UFOs! I love those tiny spools. Or maybe they're not so tiny? They looks great, anyway. It will be fun seeing you finish some of these as we work on our UFOs all year.
Happy new year!
Do you only have 12 or are you picking 12 you hope to finish this year?
It's quite the list but they are all beautiful projects! :)
Your UFO's are amazing and will all make such beautiful finished quilts. I'm scared to go through my UFO's! Happy New Year and good luck on finishing these quilts!
It will be fun to see these quilts finished each month this year! I should make a list too... now that the Christmas gift sewing is done, I can get back to my other sewing projects.
Great choices! So glad to see that blue and yellow log cabin in the mix. It will be fun to see your progress as you move them along and get some finishes. Hope you have a wonderful and productive 2017.
Happy New Year Kathy, I look forward to seeing all your wonderful work throughout 2017. I did laugh at your reference to Narnia, I wander into my sewing room and am not seen for hours. At least my husband knows where to find me!
Wow and most of them are big. Love them all. I, too, and linking to Judy.
Great group of quilts. I know you will do well. Especially interested in #11 as some pieces of my stash are in there. I will make my list and show you on tomorrow's slow stitching link. We are slow stitching?
Looks like you will be quilting a lot this year! Good luck and you can do it!
Post a Comment