Wednesday, December 28, 2016

New Projects Starting in 2017

In my blogland travels I encounter so many tempting projects. But in an effort to only spend time doing what I truly love to do, I am trying not to start so many new things... because I really love finished quilts! And I do not love feeling overwhelmed by having too many irons in the fire. 
So I am passing on these ideas to my blog readers, just in case you are looking for something wonderful to inspire you as you start off 2017.

Barbara Brackman is running a new BOM in 2017 called Yankee Diary which is based on a quilt from 1867. 
Barbara's projects always include inspiring history lessons. This BOM doesn't start until the end of January, which gives you lots of time to finish the other wonderful BOMs you have made with Barbara. I'm not starting this one until I finish my Grandmother's Choice: Votes for Women.

How about a new embroidery project?!? 
Sara Barnes is creating "1 year of stitches" and you can read an interesting interview by the creator of the project here. In the description of the guidelines it says "This is a personal project, so you do you"... I love that! Do it your own unique way, take at least one stitch every day, and make your mark in 2017! Who am I kidding? I'm probably going to do this.


How about a semi mystery project with Sarah Fielke? 
She is offering a BOM that includes all kinds of techniques, but you won't really know what the quilt will look like until the end of the year. You can personalize the details (ie. applique rabbits or cats or flowers) in your version of Down the Rabbit Hole

Pat Sloan is hosting a mystery quilt called 2017 Children's Library. This will be a 10 block quilt with "controlled scrappy" fabric choices. It sounds perfect for me!
Do you know of other new quilting projects that are starting in the new year? Leave the info in the comment section and I'll add them to the list.

21 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I know what you mean, I hear of quilts others are making sometimes and think I have to make them too and end up with way too many and I love finished quilts also. Right now I am working on 6 and really want to finish at least some of them before I start making new quilts.

Carol Swift said...

So many great projects that would be fun to take on! You really said it well about having too many irons in the fire and wanting finished quilts. Me too!

Sorcha girl said...

182 Days from Soltstice to Soltstice by Pat Sloan is a QAL making one block a week. Churn Dash is the first block. Another 365 Challenge will begin in the new year. I enjoy reading your blog and see all the variety of quilts you make.

Deb A said...

Not a 'new' project but there is the 17 for 2017 - to move UFO's along over a span of 3 weeks. https://pomegranateandchintz.wordpress.com
No finishes required... got to love that!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I have to put the blinders on myself as there are so many 'need to be finished' in that pile. Things will catch me, but 2017 is going to be about a little control.

Robin said...

I was so delighted with the Sarah Fielke quilts. So many bright colors and fun shapes. I would really like to join but I keep wanting to create my own designs. It's so fun and tempting to make what other people offer.

Mary said...

I am with ya. But I'm not really looking for a New Project while I still have so many unfinished quilts. Barbara Brackman does have good ones!

time4stitchn said...

So, Bea uneaiguilledansunebottedefoin.blogspot.fr/ as well as Cecilia
Patchwork Inspirations is hosting a Log Cabin Quilt along from France. Your choice of style: courthouse steps, wonky, pineapple, as well as size and fabric color/ style. Starts end of January: objective 2 blocks per week for 8 weeks. I decided to try it and selected a Kim Diehl pattern with a 9 patch in the center.

Mary said...

I actually signed up for a BOM for the first time ever. Starting in January to commemorate Canada's 150th.

sewnut said...

I am counting up my UFO's, "Projects not yet started but fabrics are collected" and my "wish I could do this too". New numbers for 2017!

Sarah said...

There are some exciting projects out there! I'm not sure what I'm going to do but I like the idea of a stitch a day. Like a lot of your readers I've got lots of UFOS but I'm not going to kid myself I will get side tracked! 😁

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I saw that Sarah Fielke one a month or so ago and the rabbits made it so tempting. Then I reminded myself of all of the poky applique projects going on now and so I won't do it but it will be fun to see if others do.

Paula DiMattei said...

I over extended last year and am still trying to get caught up. I found that all I did by doing so was to stress myself out and take the fun out of what I love to do. So I am really trying (key word...trying) to resist new projects. Not an easy feat since they are all soooo wonderful. I did join one new one to start in January and that is because I bought the book many moons ago and have wanted to make this quilt for a very long time. So I'm not counting this as new (like how i did that?) It is Norma Whaley's Sweet and Simple pattern. There is a FB group called Sweet and Simple-Norma Whaley if you'd like to join (forgive me for tempting you-giggle)

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

The next Scrap Dance mystery quilt will begin in January at my blog, and will take advantage of precuts this time with a whole new design and a twist.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I plan to not join any sew along groups in 2017 so I can finish all of the unfinished projects I have all over my sewing room. That's the plan--we'll see how long I can hold out--haha!

MissPat said...

I am going to join in the Yankee Diary QAL which will be a real stretch for me in many ways, but since I live 35 minutes from Canandaigua (the locale where the story is centered), I feel compelled to give it a try. Also started Pat Sloan's Solstice project even though I should know better. But, hey, I'm retired. I can do whatever I want.

Anonymous said...

This year I ended up doing three BOM's, one of which is the twice weekly Splendid Sampler which finishes in a couple of months. Three on the go was a bit much so next year I've restricted myself to one, Sarah Fielke's Down the Rabbit Hole, couldn't resist!! Hopefully I'll have time for lots of other projects too :-)

Turid said...

There are so many new projects to start now. I'm doing Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt just now. And I have thought about jumping into Porject Quilting from Persimon Dreams, one week challenges.

Kate said...

There are so many fun quilt alongs and mystery quilt alongs that it's hard to resist all of them. I've picked 3 for next year. Good luck with on the will power front, some of the projects that pop up in the middle of the year are just so hard to resist.

Barb said...

Sounds like you have a lot of ideas of what to do next.
There are so many temptations that's for sure!
happy New Year

BizarreQuilter said...

Kathy, thank you for sharing this info and everyone for commenting. It has been really helpful. xo