Wednesday, December 21, 2016

December 21 Winter Solstice

Today is winter solstice in my little corner of the world.  
Happy Winter Solstice!
This occasion marks the longest night of the year and/or the shortest day, which means it is dark most of the time. There are many traditions from various cultures to celebrate the solstice and give people hope that sunny days will return. Most traditions involve the use of light to celebrate the "return" of the sun. According to the weather network, we will have 3 hours of sun today, with the rest of the day time being grey and overcast. Ugh.



What's a person to do to get through these dark times but to quilt?!? I pin basted the 2nd section of my UFO of the month called Votes For Women. This was a Barbara Brackman BOM a few years ago and I'm finally getting it finished. Section #1 was quilted last month, and this section will hopefully get quilted this week.




It was an effort to get this far... had to piece a backing with 3 scraps, cut a piece of batting off the roll, and find my Kwik Klip which I love for pin basting. But it's done now and ready for quilting whenever there is time.


8 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

I'm looking forward to longer hours of light too. How are you going to find time to quilt this week? I still have lots to do before Sunday...not sure how I will squeeze it all in!

Frances Meredith said...

I am very impressed with your focus on finishing quilts at the moment - keep up the good work.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I'm glad that we will be having some sun today, I am looking forward to longer days now

MissPat said...

I think I asked this once before, but I don't remember seeing an answer. If you are quilting this in sections, how will you be joining the sections together? I'm familiar with quilt as you go done with blocks, but not with whole sections.
I always get excited when I suddenly realize that it's 5 PM and it's still light outside. We had our little bit of sun this morning, but the clouds are moving in (western NY).

Lisa J. said...

Yes it was very grey today. I'm glad you had some quilting to keep you going. it's a beautiful quilt Kathy.

Monica said...

Well, it is the winter solstice everywhere in the northern hemisphere. But yes, quite dark! A news report mentioned that tomorrow will be 3 seconds longer. Something to look forward to!

Kate said...

Seems you made the best use of the time from the shortest day.

Kristin said...

These dark days are really hard for me and I'm not quite as far north as you. Our sunrise is 7.30 and sunset is 4.20. I would be ok if I could stay home and sew and cook all day, but there is this little thing called work...