Sunday, December 18, 2016

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to the last Slow Sunday Stitching link up before Christmas. I hope you will take time to relax with some hand stitching today. 
It's at the very busiest times in our lives when we need the experience of relaxation the most, and ironically it's the time when most people resist it, thinking they can't afford the luxury of "wasting time". They push themselves until they get sick and end up in bed on a forced relaxation break. Don't let this happen to you just before the holidays!
Take some time today to rest, to put some stitches into a project for a gift for someone special, and reduce the level of stress you are experiencing. Feel free to call this "mandatory preventative medicine"!
Today I will be spending time with my hand quilting project. This is my oldest UFO and I am slowly making progress with the quilting. I have been procrastinating stitching this block because it is black stitches on black fabric and it's hard on my old eyes. But it's noticeably in the middle of an area that is completed quilted except for this black star. So, today I'm tackling the black on black.

The little furman is here this weekend, trying to distract me from stitching (and everything else that I would like to get done). Just look at that cute face! He jumps up on the quilt and lays his head down on the hoop until it's tilted so much that I can't stitch and must play with him. I'm not complaining... it's all part of the forced "mandatory preventative medicine"!

We would love to see what you are making this week. Link up your blog post below and share your hand stitching project with us.



   

    An InLinkz Link-up
   



15 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I understand about the black thread on black fabric. I'm experiencing eye strain appliqueing with my black fabrics! When did my eyes get old?

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

LOL he's so stinkin' cute!! :)

Jill said...

The black fabric in the block is a striking accent color. Perhaps if u do black on black stitching a little bit at a time, it won't be too much eye strain. That adorable furry face is a cute distraction for sure.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the hand stitching on the last quilt of the year is done and used for an extra quilt on the bed last night on a very, very cold night here in the upper south for us. Today on this very chilly day I well be working on hand stitching - applique needs to be done on a small tea cozy for my daughter that I have not shown on my blog and when I need a break from that I will work on my scrappy baskets - that quilt top is beginning to grow. Thank you Kathy for reminding us all to slow down each week - We do need it don't we.

Ariane said...

Your quilt is going to look amazing with the quilting. I know how hard it can be stitching black on black. Wishing you a great and relaxing day.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Black provides a nice contrast in our projects but it is a challenge to quilt it! Persevere! I'm glad to see that Max is there to provide moral support!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I have got to find a slow stitching project! Your little furman is adorable.

SandraC said...

Your quilting is lovely. I feel sorry for people who don't find the peace in such an activity...although maybe their peace comes from something else. I do know that I appreciate my down-time and your post every week so we can visit with others to see what they're stitching on! Thanks!

Dona said...

I am off to work on my niece's wedding quilt. I hope to have it finished by Sat so that I can give it to her on Christmas Eve. Her first anniversary was at the beginning of Dec.

I can't wait to get this out so that I can start on her sister's quilt.

Deb said...

Your quilting is just lovely such fine stitching. Enjoy your slow stitching.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Looks like you have a sweet little helper!

CathieJ said...

I totally like your form of preventive medicine. I will be crocheting my medicine.

Lyndsey said...

I love your furry distraction and your quilt is looking beautiful.

Stephie said...

Such wise words and beautiful stitching Kathy. That's going to be a gorgeous quilt, but good luck with the black on black! And give the woofy one a squidge from me!

Kate said...

Hope you got in lots of relaxing stitching time. I traded that for a nap, which worked, though stitching would have been more fun.