Saturday, December 31, 2016

New Year's Eve Sewing

There hasn't been much time for quilting this week with all of the Christmas activities and visiting going on. But truthfully, for me there comes a time when there has been too much talking, too many words, too much energy, too much laughter, and too many visits! I reach a point where I really need to get grounded, to experience some peace and quiet, and to hide in my quilt studio to recharge.

Today I get to be in the quilt studio for most of the day!  I am very excited and have big plans for 2 projects to work on. First I want to open up the new book and ruler that my daughter gave me for Christmas! I'm so lucky to have received one of these rulers that are in such high demand. I don't know how she managed to get me one and I'm sure the story will come out eventually, but it seemed quite magical to me that this was under my Christmas tree! 

Today I am making some inaugural blocks for the Quiltville En Provence mystery, using my new Quiltville ruler! I'm following Bonnie's instructions to the 'T' and the quarter square triangle blocks are coming out perfectly!

I thought it would be a little tricky to get the right colours in the correct places using strip piecing, but it was easy peasy! I am two steps behind in working on the mystery quilt, but I'm sure I'll be able to catch up before the release of the next step.

Later today I hope to do some machine quilting on the 2nd panel in my Votes For Women quilt. It was my lofty goal to finish the machine quilting on all 3 panels this month, but that won't happen. 
For today I will be in my happy place, renewing my energy, reflecting on the events of 2016, and dreaming of new adventures for 2017. Happy New Year!

15 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I just ordered that book! Your daughter got you a wonderful gift. Happy sewing! villacrestfarm@gmail.com

Sue said...

What a great gift from your daughter! Enjoy! Happy New Year.

Jo said...

Lucky you.
The last 2 clues won't take you long....

AnnieO said...

Yay for quilting studio time! Happy New Year!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Your daughter knows what you like!!! Happy new year!!!!

Karen said...

I am going to sit in my easy chair shortly and stitch out what is left of 2016 with some applique. Happy New Year!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have thought about making her mystery quilt but I'm waiting for the finish to be revealed - I hate choosing colors until I know what I am making - glad you got one of those rulers - they are in high demand I hear!

Chantal said...

Awesome daughter you have! I am sure you will put lots of miles on that ruler. Hope to be with you more often in 2017 for Slow Sunday Stitching; I have kind of neglected my hand quilting in 2016. Wishing you a very happy New Year! ;^)

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Great gifts for you! How fun to have a daughter that knows what you would really like and can use! Happy New Year!

scraphappy said...

Happy New Year's Eve. Enjoy your quiet time to recharge your batteries.

Needled Mom said...

Have a wonderful time catching up.

Béa said...

Happy New Year Kathy XXX

Deb A said...

Happy New Year! I'll have to think on what projects to work on today.... kids are going to Grandma's so I have a free day! A great way to start the new year.

Kate said...

Happy New Year. Hope you got in some good and relaxing stitching time yesterday. I love Bonnie's new book. Have you picked a project to make from it yet?

Teresa said...

Project coming together very nicely