Monday, December 12, 2016

Design Wall Christmas Gifts

Look what's on the design wall! I am building the cutest little Christmas trees. The tutorial to make these miniature quilts was posted by Kevin the Quilter last week and I was instantly smitten. I knew when I read that post that I'd be building a forest before the month was out! I started digging around in the green scrap bin and cutting 1.5" squares.
If you are anything like me, you push yourself like crazy the last couple of weeks before Christmas finishing hand made gifts. It's really a bizarre phenomenon that occurs in my life, but it's as regular as clockwork in December. All of a sudden *BAM* I'm become a crazed little elf obsessed with making things for everyone! 
I just wish sometimes that I could be a regular person who orders stuff on line. Life could be so easy... see a picture on a computer, click, pay on credit, have it delivered, done and done without even leaving your chair. But that is just too boring for someone with a creative brain like me. 


Here are a couple of trees in the layout stage. Look at that new cone of Aurifil thread that I bought... it looks like a little white Christmas tree!

You can check out Kevin's sweet Christmas Tree pattern here and try not to drool over the photos of his beautiful Christmas decorations! Thanks Kevin for a great gift idea! These little trees are ready for quilting and finishing this week, with plenty of time left to start many more Christmas gifts! HA!
To see more design wall postings, hop over to Patchwork Times.

14 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Cute trees. I would probably wait until the new year to make them so I would have them ready for next year. I make most of my Christmas gifts and I try to have them completed by the first of October since that is when I travel to Pennsylvania to visit those grands. They don't come for Christmas which is ok. I'm enjoying not being stressed out by shopping or last minute shopping. Thanks for the link to Kevin's blog. Blessings, Gretchen villacrestfarm@gmail.com

gayle said...

I've been eyeing those sweet little trees, too. Yours are adorable!
And I'm your fellow crazed little elf! I always seem to think I can make more stuff than there is physically time for! (Has anyone invented a day-stretcher yet?)

Janet O. said...

Oh, I am so jealous!!
You know me, I thought I would make them smaller. The reduction to a one inch square was not a problem, but I got lost on the strip lengths after that.
LOL about the regular person ordering things online--ain't it the truth? : )

Alison V. said...

These are such fun scrappy blocks!

Bonnie said...

Thanks for the link. Your little trees are darling. Do I have time to squeeze out one or two of these?

AnnieO said...

Very cute! This year I only have a few handmade gifts planned, but I give gifts all year so I think it evens out:). Merry Christmas!

Mary said...

I see the Mystery has been set aside for a bit! My Design Wall will be mostly boring this month because of the SECRET Christmas Projects. The Trees are very CUTE!

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE them (so much that I made EIGHT!!) Mine are waiting for me to stitch the binding down. Have fun with the quilting! I did each one differently.

Needled Mom said...

Sooo cute!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I saved off Kevin's tutorial as soon as I read it - I know that I'll be making some of this during 2017 for gifting/enjoying NEXT Christmas.

margaret said...

thanks for sharing these and the link to Kevin, now a follower of his, can see lots of ways of using this tutorial but not till Xmas 2017!

Kaja said...

These are adorable! Too late for me now this year, but like others I'm saving the tutorial for 2017.

Kevin the Quilter said...

Kathy! It is so fun to see you making these! I am so happy you enjoyed the tutorial! Merry Christmas!

Kate said...

Very cute trees. I long ago traded in the stress of handmade Christmas for the cop out of the on line ordering. As much as I'd like to make gifts, My Guy and Drama Teen don't like to live with me when I go that route!