Wednesday, December 07, 2016

New Clarissa Block

Clarissa block #5

Progress is slowly being made on my "Clarissa was a Superstar" quilt. This is block #5 that was just finished this week. I am sewing these pieces as a leader/ender project between sewing other blocks, so I never really know when I will have enough hourglass units ready to sew into another block. 

Here are all the blocks together on the design wall.



It looks just as wonderful as it did in my mind's eye! I like how the dark/light rounds are working out. But I just noticed that the centre pinwheels are spinning in different directions. I had to go and look at the inspiration quilt by Clarissa White Alford and see that her quilt has all the pinwheels spinning in different directions too... phew! I really didn't want to unpick those centre blocks! I also just noticed that she had some centre blocks where the pinwheel appears to be light surrounded by a darker background, so I'll try to do that in the 6th block.
Hop over to the link up at Sew Fresh Quilts for lots of quilty inspiration.

10 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Gracious Murphy, that is a lot of HSTs!!

piecefulwendy said...

You definitely rock the HST world! I love the eye movement that HSTs create, and your project is no exception! Thanks for letting us peek into your progress! Wendy at piecefulthoughts@gmail.com

Kat Scribner said...

I love this block in multiples and especially the colors you've chosen. This will make a great quilt finish. I plan this unit for my next L/E project....can't wait!

Janet O. said...

This is such a great design!
And I only see one pinwheel spinning differently from the others, so far. It would work in the center, and appear "planned", or make a few more going that same direction so the whole thing seems random. Nut honestly, I don't know that I ever would have noticed which way the wind was blowing them.

Needled Mom said...

Beautiful!!! Love the colors.

Ariane said...

These are looking amazing!

Alison V. said...

These are gorgeous! Love seeing other people's leader and ender projects! :) :) :)

Mary said...

I love your version of the Hourglass Challenge. My Scrap pile to cut-up over-floweth! NO MORE Projects will be my Motto next year.HAHAHA

Kate said...

Beautiful blocks! What a great leaders and enders project.

Karen said...

Your fabric/color choices for these blocks get my attention each time you post one. Love the color combo.