Friday, December 09, 2016

Circa Progress

The machine quilting of Circa 2016 is going really fast.
Here you can see that I was stitching-in-the-ditch on one of the corners. I am sewing in all the seams around the blocks and am very happy with how flat the quilt is laying. There are no ruffles appearing in front of the walking foot as I go along. Ruffling on the quilt top (and also pleating on the backing) is an indication that the pin basting wasn't done properly, and I used to have that happen quite regularly years ago. But now I am very careful when pin basting to make sure all the layers are taut and flat, and well pinned to prevent any shifting.


This photo shows that I have switched to the free motion foot and am already quilting the HST border. It's almost ready for the binding! I hope to have it ready to finish hand stitching the binding on Slow Stitching Sunday.

9 comments:

swooze said...

Wow that was fast

Ellen said...

Looking good! Very often taking care of the smaller details really does make a difference in the aggravation factor as well as the end result.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Looks like you are on track for binding on Sunday!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

pin basting for sure has to have the fabric flat - I have learned that too and lucky on the one I am doing to not have any ruffles either.

Mary said...

It's going good! Now you have Clue 3 to work on as well. Have a good weekend!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Such a wonderful quilt, great progress!

Janet O. said...

Wow--you were speedy on all of that ditch stitching! Exciting to be near the finish, and keeping it all within 2016! : )

Robin said...

This quilt looks great. I'm pleased that you are getting it done smoothly and quickly. That makes it more fun.

Kate said...

Congrats on getting the quilting done so quickly. Sounds like time spent prepping really pays off during quilting.