Sunday, March 01, 2020

Slow Sunday Stitching

Happy Slow Sunday Stitching!
Nancy's knitting hands
I'm so excited that March is here! It just seems much closer to the end of winter. February can be long and cold, and I'm ready for the snow to go away. 
I read a blog post about the benefits of stitching therapy, and although there are no references to any research to back up these claims, I'm happy to believe they are true. The health benefits listed are: 

*Improves Hand-Eye Coordination

*Helps Maintain Proper Posture

*Keeps Your Fingers Nimble

*Lowers High Blood Pressure

*Improves Mood

*Helps the Immune System

*Stress Relief

*Improves Focus

*Fights Dementia

*Builds Self-Esteem


Sandy's wool appliqueing hands

Wouldn't you like to experience all of the above benefits? Well then, go get your stitching project and start enjoying these benefits right now!

And for those of you who enjoy hand piecing, there is a new hand piecing quiltalong coming in March called "Book Club". Although I really enjoyed last's years project, I'm not going to join in this time because I'm really enjoying all of my other hand stitching projects right now. 
It takes great restraint for me to not start another project, but the love of what I'm stitching now is motivating me to stick with my decision.
Here is this week's progress on my Stitcher's Revolution embroidery.

What are you hand stitching today?
Link up your blog post below and share your progress with us.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

18 comments:

Sarah said...

Absolutely I'll have all of those health benefits! I think dog walking can be put in the same category (well for me anyway). Hope you have a lovely relaxing and blood pressure reducing day.

Bits of Stitching! said...

Stitching is definitely therapeutic!
Your SR's embroidery is coming along nicely!

Kim said...

Well then, I always knew hand stitching was a most excellent pastime to while away the day and all those health benefits, to boot. Enjoy your embroidering.

Created by Kathi said...

Kathy, I sew agree with the research you have found that shows the benefits out loud .. mentally I find I think over decisions best when quilting or doing hand work specific stuff too... I now have 2 different places to fulfill hand stitching in my home .. then my sewing room for creating! Thanks for the Sunday Linky to check in on my stitching gang too <3 Kathi

Kate said...

In other words, improves your sanity. I'm definitely a proponent and at the moment could use a bump to the immunity system. Hope you get plenty of time to enjoy all the benefits of slow stitching today.

Cathy said...

I think this old lady has experienced all those health benefits! Let's go stitch!!

Frances Meredith said...

Hand stitching is so relaxing compared to the machine.
(PS: Sorry for the double link)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think all are true except the posture! I just can't seem to sit straight up when I quilt, knit, crochet, or sit at the machine

CathieJ said...

I too have been tempted to join some stitch-alongs, but I have a long line of projects queued up and I want to enjoy working on them. Stitcher's Revolution is looking great. I totally agree with the benefits of handwork. I feel so much more relaxed and calm on the days that I can sit and stitch.

Julierose said...

I find all those benefits, too;)) When I get frazzled i can always count on hand quilting or hand stitcheries to calm and slow me down. thanks for your party hugs, Julierose

Karrin Hurd said...

I find all those benefits too, along with calming my soul! Love that Stitcher's Revolution.

Deanna W said...

Some stitching of any kind or sort is relaxing and enjoyable. Also licking the bowl is good too!! Hubby has been sick and now I may be catching it too..yuck!!

Elle said...

The Dutch studied the effects of knitting on Blood Pressure. Harvard also did the research.

https://www.medicalbag.com/home/lifestyle/knit-one-purl-one-the-health-benefits-of-knitting/

Knitting is awesome! (And I'm not just saying that because I'm Dutch :-)

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Walking, Sewing, Embroidery, Knitting, will yield all those positives! I am really missing my quilting (all techniques) so much! Maybe next month! Walking is an every day requirement! Clears the mind, boosts the immune system, and releases the endorphins! Thank you Kathy for all the hard work in doing Slow Sunday Stitching! Hugs

stitchingirlblog.wordpress.com said...

I enjoy all the benefits listed. Even my husband notices if I haven't had some stitching time in a day - I'm just a little out of sorts. Today will be a gardening day as it is beautiful outside. I won't get to my stitching until this evening when I work on my Grandmother's Flower Garden. I love your stitched piece - it's going to look so nice and super fun!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I agree that hand-stitching is good for us! Thanks for promoting it every week - I've enjoyed doing more of it!

Jennie in GA said...

Adorable embroidered block. And I admire your restraint!

MissPat said...

My favorite ending for Life is short is "Eat dessert first", but Lick the bowl is good, too. I agree with the positive benefits of hand stitching, but wish my fingers didn't cramp up so much when I do EPP.

Pat