Sunday, March 15, 2020

Slow Sunday Stitching



Welcome to Slow Sunday Stitching! 
We meet here every Sunday to celebrate the art of all varieties of hand stitching. If it involves a needle (or 2) and thread and stitching taken with your hands, we want to know about it!

Here in Canada we are so ready for winter to be over. The daffodils are starting to bravely pop out of the frozen ground, and we are starting to get "spring fever".  It's the time of year when we feel restless and want to get outside. One of my friends said she was outside working in her garden yesterday wearing her snowsuit!

But alas, coronavirus has changed everything for us. With the global health concerns we are being advised to engage in "social distancing", stay home, and do some slow stitching. Well, I added that last part, but it does seem like the perfect time to spend some quality time with your stitching project, doesn't it?  

We will just have to calm down that spring fever feeling, settle in at home and put the time to good use. I have made some progress on my embroidered towel. I'm stitching the bowl handle, and hope to finish the bowl and spoon handle today.

Although you can't be out with the general public, you can hang out today with your slow sunday stitching friends. We would love to see what you're hand stitching today. Link up your blog post below and share your slow progress with us. 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

17 comments:

Kathy S. said...

Yes, staying home is a great option at this time. Ohio has three weeks off school mandated by our governor. I'm hoping to get some slow stitching and machine time during those three weeks since I work at a school.

I was finishing up a few things (piecing) on my desk to clean it up so that I could start longarming this week. I got up this morning and the ground has a few inches of fresh snow on it. Guess it's too cold to longarm for now. Time to just start piecing...

CathieJ said...

Staying home and stitching is one of the best ways to practice social distancing. My daffodils are just about ready to bloom here. I really like how your tea towel is progressing. I am amazed at how smooth your curved stitching is. Stay healthy.

Sarah said...

Keep calm and carry on stitching is going to be my motto from now on! Cathie is right your stitching is so even, and a perfect project for a slow relaxing Sunday. In my part of the UK most of the daffodils are in full bloom, they are such happy flowers!

Cathy said...

Social distancing, staying home, stocking up and slow stitching has been my lifestyle since I retired 3 years ago!

Kate said...

The Scientist in Training is home on spring break, followed by two weeks of on line only classes. Work is a day by day thing, with lots of meetings to decide what are the next steps. It was nice to come home and stitch. Enjoy your early signs of springs and lots of slow stitching.

Kim said...

Yes, it seems to be the perfect time to bunker down and enjoy a little hand stitching. I did smile at the picture in my mind of your friend gardening in a snow suit! Enjoy stitching your sweet embroidery.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I really do not run around a lot as it is - I have plenty to keep myself busy now if I could just make hubby realize why we are being asked to stay home or not go to busy places

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

This pandemic has created more sewing time, a silver lining indeed! Stay well!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm very thankful for my online quilting community right now! Enjoy your stitching time today, Kathy!

Karrin Hurd said...

I'm also thankful for my online quilting community too. My grandchildren are all out until April 13th and I will miss seeing them. My DH is at risk due to his asthma that has him coughing all the time anyway, so we have to separate ourselves from them. Looking forward to my slow stitching time today!

Deanna W said...

Our daffodils are still under 2-3 feet of snow. Although it has been mild and we got some rain, it has slowed down and that is good. The sap is running so DH is making maple syrup!!

Denise :) said...

Slow Stitching is the perfect way to spend our time! I'm also grateful for the online community, especially in times like this! :)

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Isn't it wonderful to have this group of slow stitchers for the very reasons you mentioned. I sure hope we can slow down the spread and everyone can stay calm and maybe have some great family time or discover a craft that helps to keep them busy. Happy Stitching!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Kathy, it sure is a difficult time but as you said, the time to stay home with our amazing hobbies and art; and the chance to link up to like-minded people through our online community is the silver lining of all of this. I still have too much snow in the back yard to see the daffodils, but it shouldn't be too long. Have a safe, healthy week.

Deb said...

If it weren't for the threat of a virus it would be an ideal situation for all of us stitchers, working from home I have been fortunate to have extra time and now I have more time to fill for all those events that have been cancelled this month. Happy Stitching

Jill said...

Another great slow Sunday Stitching post. A special thanks for the continuity of this weekly linky party particular this week!

Karen said...

Your "Sheldon" perspective is so true and necessary. I still like watching that show even though I know all the stories.