Sunday, March 22, 2020

Slow Sunday Stitching

Hello Slow Sunday Stitching friends! We are celebrating the art hand stitching as we do every Sunday, so take a deep breath, grab a comforting beverage and join us!


I enjoyed a wonderful morning last Sunday  reading every single blog post link up. What a treat that was! There was so much wonderfulness to soak up! I saw a beautiful hand made gift being generously given to an online friend, read so many encouraging and inspiring thoughts, and celebrated incredible years-in-the-making finishes! It was so uplifting to visit you all! Thank you to everyone who contributes in every small way to making the world a better place by creating and sharing such beautiful things!

How different the world is since last Sunday eh?! 
Serenity Prayer
I know these are difficult days for everyone and as I am sure is true for most people, I have had to work hard this week to maintain calmness in my body, to stay informed about what is true, to manage anxiety and fear, and to not worry about the things I cannot control... hey, that's pretty much the serenity prayer! 


I have been doing everything I know to do to feel better... singing, praying, stitching, meditating, journalling, playing the piano, taking epsom salts baths, going for walks, and I even finished two 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzles! Every bit of effort helps to stay grounded and mentally well which is essential to maintaining a healthy immune system. 

Here in Ontario, Canada we have been advised to "lock down really hard now" for the next week or face the consequences. Governments have attempted to teach their citizens the urgency of "flattening the curve", so we shall see which societies do a good job of education, and which populations comply. I understood the concept immediately, and have been self isolating since Monday, but see evidence every day of folks who either don't understand or refuse to comply.
I am only leaving my home to go to the grocery store and to my parent's home to bring them whatever they need. I know I have done the best I can to not get or spread this virus, and the skin on my hands is getting red and dry from all the hand washing. All we can do is hope for increased compliance and hope our loved ones don't get it, and if they do, that they haven't passed it on to others. We hope and pray that everyone recovers quickly with enough health care resources to see us through this pandemic.


So here's an inspirational story from this week's adventures to cheer us all up. This is a card that my parents found in their mailbox. You can see that my parents are also working on a puzzle at their house. (I did not go into their house and took the photos of the card from the doorway.)


The card is from a neighbour that they do not know who lives 2 houses down. I removed the identifying information so I could share the photo on my blog. The note is offering assistance to my parents in case they need anything. I think they probably saw my Dad outside walking with his walker this week and wanted to reach out to him. Isn't that so generous and kind? Also their immediate next door neighbour called to check in on them, AND a previous neighbour called to see if they need anything! My parents are in their 80's and it has been so heartwarming that people are thinking of them and reaching out at this time. 
Warm fuzzies for everyone!

Today I will be doing my favourite calming activity ... hand stitching a binding. This asterisks quilt has been almost 6 years in the making! It has been a long journey and there were many times when I didn't like it at all (which is just like life in general). But I'm loving it today because it's almost done! I especially like the backing and binding fabric I found in the stash!


This photo was taken late last night and shows a bit of the machine quilting pattern... wavy vertical lines and loops. 

I am looking forward to hand stitching the day away with you! Link up your blog post below, share your slow stitching projects, and also share with us your ideas about how to stay sane during this global crisis. 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

19 comments:

Kim said...

I love the random acts of kindnesses that are being shown each day. The generosity of spirit that people are displaying is what will get us through these troubling and worrying times. Every day there are new developments, isn't there. How sweet of your parents' neighbours to offer their help and assistance if needed. I must say I love your jigsaw puzzle you just finished. How fabulous are all those little squares of quilty loveliness. Enjoy your day of sewing on the binding, Kathy. Take care and keep well.

CathieJ said...

I am pretty much doing the same as you are. Grocery only when absolutely necessary and visiting my mom. I do go in her home though as she is 92 and can no longer do her own laundry or sometimes stand long enough to cook her dinner. I have provided many heat and eat meals, but she is lonely and bored by herself. My husband is doing the same for his mother. We are taking daily walks and I am crafting and reading. I think it is time to take out a puzzle and start working on it. I brought one to my mother, but she has yet to start it. I do love puzzles. Love the Asterik quilt. Thank you so much for bringing so many bloggers together. It is a wonderful way to keep in touch in these difficult times.

Sarah said...

I agree with what Cathie says in the above comment, thanks for bringing so many bloggers together! It sounds as if the UK is at the same point as you. We are being encouraged to take outside exercise providing we take social distancing into account so I am thankful to have the dog to walk. I was given a jigsaw of London for Christmas (I used to live in London) but I'm saving it for when I get really desperate! But I love that quilt one!!! It is a comfort to know someone is looking out for your parents. Something similar was put through my step mums door this week. She is nearly 90 and lives 1 1/2 hours drive away! Take care.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is so nice to hear of nice things like this. We too are trying to flatten the curve but our area has not been hard hit and yet and it is hard for some people to comprehend how bad it might get and they are still running around town too often. We live in the country and have not left home often this week,but yesterday went to a park for a walk and it was so nice to get out and walk and see people social distancing but out enjoying themselves.

Chantal said...

Oh Kathy! This is such a lovely story about your parents letter. So heart warming. We need more people like that in this world. Thank you for sharing it. My eyes are burning with held back tears. I find it hard to stay put. I understand more what cabin fever is and how it affects our mental health. But today is a sunny day here so I'll sit outside and stitch for awhile. Stay safe. ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

What lovely neighbors for your Mom and Dad! I bet that helps you feel good about where they are, too, Kathy. Thanks for your link-up, as always, and enjoy our binding stitching!

Denise :) said...

Terrific post, Kathy! Filled with inspiration, wisdom and beauty! Thanks for sharing and for continuing to host. :)

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

We are going for walks on some local trails for exercise and fresh air on warm days. There aren't many people out, and we are maintaining the six foot distance as we pass on the trails. Otherwise, I am mostly staying in my sewing room. I plan to start an applique project this week, and hope to share soon. Stay safe and well!

Karrin Hurd said...

How sweet of your parents neighbors, to offer their help. It's a great feeling to finally finish a project up at long last! Thanks for providing your venue where we can all visit and stay in touch!

Deanna W said...

Will link up later today once I have something to show hopefully! Glad all is well at your house and your parents. Been isolating since last Saturday.I know we can all get through this with time and patience. Love the bright cheery pink in your quilt. Happy stitching!

scraphappy said...

It is so kind of your parent's neighbors to keep an eye out for them. Difficult times do give us a chance to support those in need. Congratulations on stitching down the binding to your asterisks quilt. The closer a quilt is to being done, the more fun it is to get it moved off of the list. Enjoy!

Jill said...

Your parents neighbors card is the best! Thank you for sharing. I've been wondering how it's been going on the Canadian side of the Ambassador Bridge. I've been so busy watching our news and what is going on in Italy that I apologize for not checking in and/or looking online. Stay calm (as best you can) and sew steady! Thanks so much for bringing slow stitchers together!

Barbara said...

Oh my gosh! I used that same pink fabric in one of my projects yesterday. Obviously we both have excellent taste.

Louise said...

The kindness of your parents' neighbors warms my heart! Thank you so much for sharing their lovely card :)

carol fun said...

I'm happy for the kindess and friendliness being shown by all the people walking in my neighborhood... sidewalks are a wonderful thing and my little house on the corner has so many people coming by... I too included the Serenity prayer in my post today... it popped into my head this morning and I needed it... so much anxiety and so little control over what is happening... working on staying positive... so glad to have hand work in my life... take care Kathy!! virtual hug from a safe social distance...LOL

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

My husband and son keep getting out to play disc golf (they need the exercise and fresh air). No contact with anyone else. I'm considered an 'essential' worker (home health care aid) so I get out every day. I have to take extra care, since if I get sick, then my client could get sick, and he is in the high risk category. We had to watch my nephews wedding using the Zoom app, since we couldn't fly there, and it was limited to immediate family only (parents & siblings). Tough time for those with weddings, funerals, graduations, etc.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Good neighbors can make all the difference. Looks like your folks have some great ones. This is really unreal and affecting so many people! Getting to the binding stage in a quilt is the best feeling!

Barb said...

what a nice quote by AW. I loved this post and your list of activities.
What a sweet note your parents received! Kindness is everywhere these days and i love it.
take care and sew on.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Having trouble sleeping tonight so I was visiting blogs and realized I hadn't read your post for Sunday. So glad I came back, the kindness your parents neighbors showed is the hope I needed to hear. I know things could be so much worse, but I think of all the sick in hospitals and it really brings me down. Then there are those that just don't want to do their part. Well enough said.