Sunday, November 17, 2019

Slow Sunday Stitching Finish

Welcome to the weekly hand stitching party!
I'm proud to share a finished quilt today!
This finish is very exciting because it is a hand pieced, hand quilted project and it took a long time to complete. 
This is the hand pieced quilt along by Elm Street Quilts, started in January 2019 using the Moda fabric line called "hello luscious". The sampler blocks were hand pieced and stitched together by the end of April. It then became my take along project to quilt during the summer months. 


Friendship Album back
The backing was made from some left over charm squares, but I discovered that was not a good idea for a backing on a hand quilted project. There were so many seams in the quilt top, added to the extra seams in the pieced backing and it made the quilting a real challenge. I won't do that again!



I'm calling my quilt "Friendship Album" since I listened to an audio book by the same name while I was stitching this quilt.


Linking up to Meadow Mist Favorite Finish linky party.


What are you hand stitching today? Share your progress with us and link up your blog post below.




You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

19 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

This is very pretty and extra special since it's all hand work! I bet too the quilting was challenging with the extra seams in the backing. Happy Stitching!

Created by Kathi said...

Kathy I just love your finish you are sharing today... as for the book or podcast you listened to... can you tell me more?? I followed your link but it led to a podcast and more questions than I think there really are! lol
Kathi

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh my I hardly recognize those blocks from the quilt along. I love the scrappyness and the fabrics really change it up. Yes those seams on the back are on issue when hand quilting. I seem to learn something new with each quilt I make. Congratulations on a great finish!

CathieJ said...

Your little quilt is beautiful, but I can understand why the quilting was so difficult.

Birthe Marie said...

Your quilt is ao pretty! Congratulations on beautiful finish! :-)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love the little quilt and the colors you used

Cathy said...

Sweet finish! Congrats. I can't imagine hand piecing blocks but then again I never imagined I would ever complete a quilt by hand quilting.

diamondc said...

Kathy: The back is just as lovely as the front, congratulations on the finish.

Have a lovely week
Catherine

Karrin Hurd said...

Love your Friendship Album. I still need to hand quilt mine. Great work, congratulations on the finish! The back is lovely!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Friendship Album is so pretty, Kathy! I've always loved the fabric you used for it. Congratulations on your finish!

Deb A said...

I love how your quilt came out. You are making me want to prep mine for hand quilting next instead of the cat and mouse quilt. Good tip on the backing for a hand quilted quilt. I would not have thought of that.

Deanna W said...

Love your cute little finish. I listened to the podcast of the Friendship Album too on your recommendation. The tea cup/mug is perfect for this finish.

Sarah said...

That's a nice finish and the fabrics are really pretty!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I really love your quilt!

Jenny said...

What a pretty finish, congratulations. I don't have a protect to share with your pinky today, but will enjoy reading all the other inspiring posts.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Very pretty Kathy! You do such lovely work! AND all hand work! Hand work is so beautiful and takes so long, but oh so worth it! Hugs

Lyndsey said...

That is a very cute quilt. I haven't hand quilted anything yet but plan to do so next year. I've made a note about not having too many seams on the backing fabric. Thank you as I think I'll need all the help I can get when I finally attempt it.

Denise :) said...

Very sweet finish! The colors are very soft and pretty! I especially like the tea and teapot sitting on it! :)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Congrats! My very first quilt was hand pieced and hand quilted. I've not hand pieced since. I am doing some hand quilting on a UFO.