Monday, March 23, 2020

Finished UFO

March's UFO goal has been met and the finished quilt is on the design wall today! Woohoo!

Thanks to COVID19 restrictions and not leaving the house, I have had a bit more time to quilt. This quilt started at a quilt guild class in 2014 when we were supposed to be learning how to make a wonky greek cross block but I became preoccupied with the asterisk block instead. 
asterisk block

They are just so fun to make and I have used them in many quilts over the years. After working on this quilt, I am now eager to start another asterisks quilt. 


This was not at all a planned project and it just evolved over time. I had grabbed some scraps to sew blocks at the class, and then added in fabrics as I worked on it over time. Who knew those green background fabrics would be impossible to match?


"comfortably quirky" finished quilt
Audrey used a term in one of her blog posts to describe the quilt she was making ... "comfortably quirky". I love that! I'm using it as a descriptor for this quilt. And although I hated it 2 years ago, today I think it's "comfortably quirky" and it's a happy looking quilt. 

I took the quilt to the park for a photo shoot but there was a brisk cold wind, so the photos aren't good. You can see that everything is mostly brown in our neck of the woods still.... spring has not really arrived yet. I did want to post this photo to remember what was happening in the world when this quilt was finished. Everything is closed including playgrounds.
Asteriskos: Little Star

Finished size: 43.5" x 57.5"
The word asterisk derives from the greek word 'asteriskos' which means little star and so it is the name of the quilt! 
Linking up to Small Quilts,  One Monthly Goal and Favorite Finish.

22 comments:

SandraC said...

I love this quilt. Yes, comfortably quirky.....and whimsical

gailss said...

Adorable and like the colors in this one....nice to have a finish and some good comes from strange places I guess.. stay safe Kathy.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Looks like a great quilt, it is nice that we can stay productive during this trying time.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great finish, congrats! We got snow yesterday. Now I get to drive on black ice (I still have to drive to work).

Linda said...

What a delightful quilt. Gorgeous pinks and pretty backgrounds to the blocks. A very nice UFO finish.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

glad you were able to get out and breath some fresh air!! neat quilt

Rebecca Grace said...

What a delightful finish, Kathy -- congratulations! It's weird to see the playgrounds closed and locked up, isn't it? Like something from a Hollywood doomsday blockbuster, not real life! Stay safe and happy stitching!

Preeti said...

That is a lovely finish with the right balance of sweet, colorful and quirky. Love the variation in asterisk blocks.

AnnieO said...

Sew pretty! I love that color combo. I've never made an asterisk block. All greens go together--look at the flowers and leaves:) Spring is here in SoCalif, we have had more rain though are still behind with average total, as is too often true. Sew, sew, sew!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on a really fun finished quilt!!

Bonnie said...

Terrific finish. That's my shelter in place goal -- finish a few UFOs. I hear you on not being able to match green fabrics. I have to say the finished quilt looks great though. Stay safe.

Deanna W said...

Yahoo great finish. Love the pics of your comfortably quirky quilt...love that and your quilt.

Fabric Fanatic said...

I love your asterisks in all their variations. Is there a block pattern somewhere I could use to make one of my own to make some use of scraps?

Louise said...

Fabulously quirky! Great finish, Kathy. I love this sparkly, twinkly, quirky quilt :)

Jenny said...

It's such a happy looking quilt, great finish!

Janet O. said...

A wonderful finish!
I love your asterisk creations, Kathy.
I also like that you documented the playground closure with your quilt photo. My daughter just got word that her hubby will be working from home starting Thursday. Her 4-year-old daughter is going to have a hard time understanding why Daddy can't go to the park with her since he is home. #1-the park is closed. #2-Daddy is working. Huh?

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

A happy quilt indeed - congratulations. It's a great feeling when a quilt we weren't so sure about, turns out to be pleasing. Playgrounds still open (and often crowded!) in Tokyo. Mmm. We've been asked to do social distancing for weeks now, but a lot of people aren't taking it seriously.

Sarah said...

I like that the asterisks are different sizes, it makes for an interesting fun quilt!

O'Quilts said...

Wonderful quilt

Carol Andrews said...

What a bright happy quilt. Thanks for sharing.

Patty said...

Very nice! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Vera said...

Nice! Congrats on your pretty finish!