Sunday, March 29, 2020

Slow Sunday Stitching

Every Sunday we roll out the welcome mat for like-minded hand stitchers to gather for a party. Thank you for joining us! 


We encourage you to get out your hand stitching project and put in a few stitches. Then make yourself a cup of your favourite beverage and visit other hand stitchers around the world to see what they are working on today.

When we have to stay home and can't gather with family and friends, it's very hard for most people. It has been challenging and also an invitation to settle down, and spend time doing comforting activities. It's all about the comfort these days. 

I have been making homemade vegetable soups for 2 weeks. I don't know why. I wish I liked to bake because I really like to eat baking, but I really enjoy canning and making soup. 
My brother used to make soup from the ingredients in his garden and give bit large jars of it to friends when they were sick. After his death, I inherited his canning jar collection and I kept the label on one of his jars just to remember this small act of kindness and love that was his great delight. I'm not using those huge jars because they are way too big! A batch of soup made from one butternut squash results in the 2 jars on the left. So far my pandemic soups have been squash, broccoli (my favourite), cauliflower, and today's soup is going to be carrot.


tea + hand stitching + soup = comfort

Comfort is the theme of the weekend. As often as you can, do more of what brings you comfort. For me today, that will be drinking tea, listening to music, making soups, and hand stitching. I hope to finish up my embroidered tea towel today.

Let's try to keep ourselves stitched together!

Link up your hand stitching blog post below, and enjoy some comforting visits with our fellow stitchers.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

18 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

If I lived close to you, we could do an exchange, a loaf of my bread for your soup, of course though, 6 feet apart! I love squash soup and would like to taste the cauliflower. You bring a lot of joy and pleasure to people by having the weekly link up. Stay safe and healthy!

Kim said...

Home made soup is such a comfort food. Squash soup is always delicious and I like the sound of cauliflower soup. Chicken and veggie soup is one that I make to warm the cockles of my heart. =) Enjoy your hand stitching. Take care and keep well.

Kate said...

What a great way to remember your brother and do something that brings comfort. I've been doing a lot more hand stitching the last couple of weeks. There's just some thing soothing about having a needle in my hand. Enjoy your stitching time. Stay well!

Sarah said...

That soup does look good! All I want to do is eat carbs at the moment! Take care.

Deb A said...

My kids and I love baking..... Wish we lived closer and we would drop care packages off to you! I never thought to can soup! Thanks for the idea. I see lots of thread and needle therapy for me today.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

What a sweet memory of your brother! I love homemade soup, too, and have been making it pretty often lately. Enjoy your stitching time today, Kathy!

Kathy S. said...

I love that you saved the label on one of your brother's jars. Your soups do sound so comforting. Enjoy a relaxing day.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

It is going to cool off again later this week and a hot bowl of homemade soup would be lovely. I'm going to try to figure out a stitching project this week. I'm done with the last binding, and am working on a repair by hand, but I'd like something new to do.

jual said...

Hi Kathy...good day to make homemade soup...could you share your carrot soup recipe. Years ago when I worked my favourite was Cultures carrot soup. Thanks...take care...jr

Marie said...

In the cooler months I make two - three batches of soup a week - it is the perfect lunch or light dinner and, like quilting, it can be a very meditative process (if you aren't on deadline!). This week it was Lentil Vegetable and Curried Zucchini; I'm thinking Tomato Sweet Potato is next. Yum!

Deanna W said...

Seeing a family member's writing, who has passed, brings me comfort too. I have a small notebook my father carried with him. Makes me feel close to him and brings a smile to my face when I hold it and read his handwriting! Once all my work around the house is done..I will be settling in for some slow stitching!

Karrin Hurd said...

I love soup but have never tried canning it. I haven’t canned ina long time. Happy stitching!

CathieJ said...

I only make beef barley soup and I don't can it. My comfort today will be tea, stitching and baking. I love to bake and have been doing a lot of it since we are home. I split it between us, my mom and my MIL or I would be gaining way too much weight. LOL

Jill said...

They all sound delicious. A productive thing to making this week! Thanks for keeping us together with your weekly Slow Sunday Stitching linky party!

Rebecca Grace said...

I wish I was motivated to make healthy "comfort soup" like you instead of finding my "comfort" at the bottom of a pint of Ben & Jerry's... There is no way my jeans will still fit at the end of this pandemic! :-(

MissPat said...

My comfort today was found in the garden as the temps rose to 68 degrees. I trimmed dead leaves off the Helleborus, did some weeding, and cleaned up fallen branches from a dead Harry Lauder's Walking Stick bush. It was windy, but sunny, until a thunderstorm complete with hail, moved in and put an end to the outdoor work (probably for the rest of the week, according to the forecast). Back to stitching tomorrow. Or, and we did have homemade soup for dinner, leftovers enhanced with some additional ingredients.
Pat

Miaismine said...

As always, I thoroughly enjoyed visiting your blog as well as the blogs from like minded slow stitchers! I, too, enjoy cooking and freezing soups! Such a comfort, they are, like a hug....
Blessings to you!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

My Sunday school class is meeting thru Zoom, so we can all see and chat with each other at least once a week, like normal. The pastor is also having a Zoom meeting twice a week, for everyone who wants to join in. It's a great way to find out what is going on with everyone, and gather prayer requests. My son had me Skype babysit my granddaughter yesterday morning (she woke up way too early, and he just set up the camera, and I watched and chatted with her while she ate her cereal, and he tried to wake up). Since we are 3 hours earlier than they are, I was nice and awake.