Saturday, July 14, 2018

Square Dancing Improv Style

After making Carole's Square Dance mystery quilt top, I became preoccupied with the scraps. The first project from the tiny scraps called Diamonds in the Rough is a mini quilt. But the larger scraps were big enough to make a lap size quilt. You can see Carole's improv scrappy version here.
Here is the fun stage of trimming units and generating ideas of how they might be sewn together. I trimmed up all the blade units to the same size. 
Because the original Square Dance design had windmill shapes in it, I was drawn to this windmill configuration and just had to figure out the math for pieces to fit in the open spaces.



When I was sewing it together somehow I got the white background pieces on the opposite side of the blade and didn't realize it until it was together and I was measuring the block size.
It's interesting, but not the design I was hoping for.
Try again. I took the entire block apart and resewed it.


That's better!

Chocolate Windmills!

The next step is to figure out how to make it larger by adding  some scrappy sashing and/or borders.

9 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Looks great!! You are the improv master!

Lynne Stucke said...

Ooooh~ I love the interesting 'mistake'! And your chocolate windmills look really great!

Cathy said...

No matter how you slice it up...chocolate is always yummy!!!

Katie said...

I love the "mistake" as well and with chocolate you can't go wrong. You are an inspiration to quilters like me.

swooze said...

Oooohhh!,!,

Louise said...

Hmm, I might try making your backwards/inside out pinwheels with my scraps from the QAL. But first I'd have to find them. I'm glad you're making good use of yours! :)

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Very cool! Love that you are using all the scraps! xx

Mary said...

The only kind of Chocolate besides the real stuff. Quilt chocolate.

Kate said...

You found a great way to use up those scraps.