Monday, July 02, 2018

Square Dance Mystery Top



Carole's Square Dance mystery started in January and she posted one step each month on her blog. It was a perfect pace to build a scrappy quilt along side all my other projects going on. This photo shows the blocks on the design wall sorting out the layout. It's a bit different than the recommended layout since I had a few 9 patch blocks leftover and added them in here and there to make the quilt top a little larger.



Then I went to a weekend quilt retreat at my friend Deanna's house so I had to pack up the pieces of the quilt in such a way as to be able to piece it together without the benefit of a design wall. Here is the pile of parts pinned together and labelled .. hopefully done in a organized manner so that it could be easily sewn together.

Here is the quilt top that emerged and the only good photo due to the windy conditions the day of the photo shoot. I like the photo because it also shows the creek that runs along side Deanna's home. After finishing it, I did not like the half stars (or windmills) on the left side of the quilt. So I plan to take the seam ripper to the left column and swap them with some blocks in the top right corner. But it's coming along and almost ready for a border or two.
Hop over to Small Quilts to see more design wall posts.

11 comments:

Nann said...

I agree about the half stars on the sides -- hope the ripping/replacing goes smoothly. It's a great design. Congratulations on the flimsy.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Good plan! Thanks for quilting along with the mystery!

SandraC said...

Your fabrics really work and show off the design well! I gave up on mine a couple of months ago, as I made unfortunate fabric choices :(

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice setting in the woods!

Alison V. said...

This is very pretty -- I agree with you about the half stars but it looks like a great scrap buster!

Katie said...

Great scrap quilt. I agree with the half stars looking out of place. I hate ripping so I would just add a row of nine patches that would finish off the stars as well. It would be a little wider but No Ripping.

Judy D in WA said...

I love how this turned out (or will turn out when you move those half stars).
There always has to be a seam ripper involved, doesn't there!!
The background is gorgeous! So deep green and woodsy. Hmmm, inspiration for a new quilt???

Louise said...

Oh, your Square Dance turned out so much better than mine! You have the right mix of lights and darks for the pattern to really stand out. Mine...not so much. I think making the centers of all your nine patches with red/pink is what really works and makes that secondary pattern of the grid pop. Great job!

Needled Mom said...

That looks fabulous! I have saved the pattern and think I may need to make it.

AnnieO said...

It is a fun design! Maybe if you only move one of the half blocks to the upper right side it will balance out for you without losing that light sparkle they add to the quilt. I'm sure you'll figure out what the quilt wants to be!

Kate said...

It turned out beautifully!