Wednesday, July 04, 2018
Happy July 4th to readers from the USA! I hope you are enjoying celebrations with family and friends today!
Here's the update for my improv "dots and dashes" quilt. You can read more about the start of it here if you missed that.
This is how it was last week.
I stared at it good and hard, and decided I really like the combination of the orderly uniform squares in various combinations, with the occasional strip of different sizes of small scraps sewn in columns.
Then I picked 3 things that I didn't like and want to change:
1) I don't like the horizontal lines which were just auditioned on the design wall, so no unsewing was needed.
2) I don't like the little squares touching the vertical lines and wanted white space on both sides of the lines. That did involve some unsewing.
3) I don't like that one of the white on white backgrounds looks yellowish at times. Oh well... definitely can't change that!
I decided it needed to be 5 rows instead of 4 to become a rectangular quilt. I rummaged around in the scraps to figure out if I have enough scraps to stretch it to 5 rows? I think I do and am still working on filling in the spaces.
I had to add in another white on white fabric since the solid white was done.
I auditioned adding chunks of fabric to the ends of the rows to even up the lengths. I'm not sure if those are staying yet.
One of my friends saw the quilt on the design wall and said "I love it... You should write a pattern for that".
Ummmm NO! That's the fun of improv... there is no pattern, and no two quilts are alike. At times I look at the design wall and think it is just a hot mess. At other times I think it's such a fun quilt and can't wait to sew it all together. That is just how is goes with an improv adventure!
Linking up to Oh Scrap! and Let's Bee Social.