Sunday, July 01, 2018

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to the weekly hand stitching party! Get out your needles and threads and join us... the more the merrier!
It's Canada Day here and I plan to celebrate by stitching because it's too hot to do anything else. The weather that had us wearing jackets last weekend has changed dramatically and we are sweating now. A heat warning is issued which means it will feel like over 40 celsius (which is 104 fahrenheit). Melting weather!



This is the most recently finished block that I hand embroidered last weekend at Fabric Piranha's retreat at Deanna's house. It is one of the May blocks from Gail Pan's "I Stitch Club". Since this block has flowers and bees, I had to take a photo of it in one of Deanna's gardens.

And here we are doing some Slow Sunday Stitching in the gazebo at Deanna's last weekend. 
It was lovely and cool and we had the wood stove in the corner pumping out some heat so we could stitch outside. I am so lucky to have friends who enjoy hand stitching time as much as I do. Deanna was stitching hexies, Barb was sorting little squares, I was hand quilting, and Louise was hand stitching a binding.



I was able to finish hand quilting another Life Is Beautiful block. These are all the tools needed for that project... needle, thread, scissors, thimble, needle puller and glasses. Interesting that my glasses are almost as big as the block is!



When that block was quilted, I wanted to do more embroidery, but didn't have a block prepped. So I used the handy dandy light box (aka the front door) to trace another pattern to stitch. I taped the pattern to the door, and taped the fabric to the pattern. Then I traced the design with a frixion marker. I really like those markers for hand embroidery designs. 
So far my system of tracing on a window has worked out okay. How do you trace stitching designs? Do you have an official light box for tracing designs for applique or embroidery? 


I'll be sitting by the fan today and trying to stay cool with my hand stitching. What are you creating today? Link up your blog post below and share your hand made projects with us. 


   
    An InLinkz Link-up
   

24 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

How fun to do some slow stitching outside with friends! I like to stitch in my gazebo too but in the evenings, the mosquitoes sometimes force me into the house. I noticed that Deana's gazebo has screening to keep the bugs out. I use the same type of light box as you do--works well. Happy Canada Day to you and your family.

SandraC said...

My light box used to be the dining room window but my husband came up with a brilliant idea...I open up the dining room table, as if I'm going to insert a table leaf, but just leave the gap open and lay a piece of tough plexiglass across the gap. Then I put a small lamp under the table and voila!, my light box! Although, if the design is small and simple, I will still resort to the window. Stay cool!

Kate said...

Looks like you had a fun time with your friends and finished a very pretty bit of handwork. Hope the heat wave doesn't last too long, 104 is hot! Happy stitching today. Happy Canada Day too!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Happy Canada Day! It is too hot to be outside here too.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

now that is the kind of gazebo I would like - one to keep the bugs out! and you have a stove in it to keep warm when needed that is great. I have a small light box for tracing when needed but your way works great too!

Faye said...

happy Canada Day!

your embroidery is just lovely

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That looks like a fun gathering! I've used my patio door as a light box, too, although I'd love to try a real one!

Chantal said...

My dream is to have a summer kitchen like that gazebo. Wow! Lucky her.
My coffee table has a glass in the middle, so when I need a light box, I stuff a light under the table and sit on the floor. It always reminds me of those days when I was a child and would color for hours in the living room, at the coffee table, sitting on the floor. Guess I haven't changed that much ... yet, hehehe. ;^)

Deanna W said...

Yes we love our gazebo...and cooking in the wood stove is delicious!!oh it is also good for heat on those cold days. I would love to be able to wear my wooly socks...but NOT today! Think I will be hiding in the basement. You make my gardens look so good!

BJ said...

Your Life is Beautiful block is inspiring me to get mine out. All the embroidery blocks are done, but I'm trying to use my stash for the alternate blocks and I haven't auditioned anything yet. Love your gazebo - what a great place to relax and stitch! DH saw me using a window as a light box - it works, right? - and bought me a big LED light box for Christmas. I'll use it when I pick my next embroidery or appliqué project.

MissPat said...

Happy Canada Day! I have a lightbox but I don't do much embroidery so it's used mostly for tracing quilt labels on muslin. I print them on the computer using a calligraphy font then trace onto the muslin with a Pigma pen or brush.
Quite amazing that you had the wood stove going at your quilt gathering last week and now we're all having a heat wave. We're supposed to break a hundred year old record today near Rochester NY.
Keep cool. I'm going to quilt at a friend's house with air conditioning.
Pat

Cathy said...

Stitching with friends in a gazebo? I'm envious! I don't have stitchy friends or a gazebo. I do have a window light box, though!

CathieJ said...

It is very hot here also. I like your "light box". I have a photo that I need to trace onto paper so that I can make it into a counted cross-stitch. I think I will use your method. It is so nice that you have stitching friends. Your Life is Beautiful quilting is looking very pretty.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Happy Canada Day! Hope the weather will be less hot next days

Ada Plouvier-Kopitopoulou said...

How nice to stitch together! I also use the windows and door to trace patterns. Easy and cheap!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Looks like a great time stitching with friends. Happy Canada Day!

Dolores said...

Sorry, no stitching for me today. It's family day and it started out with watching the annual Canada Day parade. BBQ later.

Lyndsey said...

Happy Canada Day. None of my friends hand stitch but I am slowly encouraging my daughters to try embroidery and other hand stitching so maybe soon I enjoy the fun of stitching with friends. John bought me a light box for Christmas but so far I haven't used it as the hand stitching I'm working on is printed patterns. I have a number of patterns to draw out soon and I'm hoping it will make the job really easy.

Sarah said...

What fun stitching with friends! My light box is the window in my sewing room...works fine for me! It's mega hot here in the UK - we are on our 6th consecutive hot day and they are talking about water shortages already (apparently with the demand for water so high they can't get it to our taps quick enough) Hope you have a great Canada Day!

Robin said...

I have a 15" X 18 Artograph lightbox. It's so much more convenient than the window which I admit I used a lot before. I use the lightbox continually for prepping my back basted applique and my labels. It is a bit bulky (my husband always thinks bigger is better). The newer lightboxes are thin and light. Where do you live in Canada? 104 degrees is a very hot day here in northern Utah and you much farther north. Stay hydrated!

Chris said...

I used to use a window and later a large sheet of plexi-glass over the opening where the extension on the table should go, but found a glass top table that is about 30 x 50 inches and doubles as a table. Now how original is that?

Jenny said...

Buying a light box was certainly a good investment I feel. I used to hate trying to trace patterns up against a window. I don't do a whole lot of appliqe but it's so nice to know the light box is there when I need it.

Deb A said...

I have missed internet... and reading your blog! I have a clear sewing table for my machine so I put a little neck light under and use that as my light box to trace appliqué patterns. Works great. Looking forward to checking in... as long as the internet lasts. Happy Canada day....

Miaismine said...

Your stitching is lovely, as always. Your Istitch project is so dainty and pretty - perfect photo!

I trace embroidery using a light box like yours - it's the best and requires no storage! ;)