Sunday, July 29, 2018

Slow Sunday Stitching

Hand stitching = Sanity

That's just the truth for me. My most recent embroidery block has seen stitches added in 4 cities, on 2 trains, several buses, and at 2 local parks this past week. Whenever I feel overwhelmed I just put in my earphones, listen to some favourite music, and get out my hand stitching. Not much progress was made on the stitching, but it was the act of focusing, of slowing down, of getting grounded in the current moment that was the important accomplishment.


Here is a photo of my embroidery project getting a few more stitches added while relaxing at the park.
A beautiful swan swam serenely by to add to the calming factor.

Ahhhh now I can actually breathe deeply and start to feel a little of that relaxed happy feeling that had been MIA all week.





Or maybe it was a "sugar rush" from this fantastic lavender cupcake that I devoured while hand stitching?
WOW that was delicious!

This stitching and cupcake eating in the park experience was a treat for all my senses. 


What are you hand stitching today? 
I wish I could pass around some lavender cupcakes for everyone to enjoy, but I can encourage you to take your hand work project outside to enjoy putting in some stitches "en plein air" (it's really a painting term, but we're going to use it to apply to stitching outdoors). 
Happy Slow Stitching Sunday!


   
   

12 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm glad you found some time to calm your mind and add one or two stitches. That cake looks very yummy, I could eat the cake but not outside today it's pouring with much needed rain!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Can't wait for some cooler weather so I can sit out and stitch. Woke up early this am and it's already 82 and the sun hasn't come up yet. Hopefully, a cold front will come down from Canada and give us some much needed relief and some rain tomorrow.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I like stitching outside too. That cupcake looks delicious! We all need time to slow down and relax. Thank goodness for our stitching.

Deanna W said...

Stitching outdoors today is a no-go. The forest fires burning in Parry Sound are making enough smoke and it is travelling the 1.5 hours to our neighbourhood. Yesterday was smoky too and that smell is awful! But I will be indoors stitching away and joining in with you today!!

Kate said...

What a beautiful place to stop and stitch! Enjoy your slow stitching today (and another lavendar cupcake!).

Deb said...

It looks like you found a bit of serenity while stitching outdoors in the park. The lavender cupcake looks lovely, I made lavender lemonade this weekend. I am hoping to get outside this week now that I am feeling much better. Happy Stitching

Kathy S. said...

Your stitching is pretty. LOVE that the swan was near. The lavender cupcake is so pretty with the gold sprinkles! Yum. This is the way to roll!

Birthe Marie said...

Beautiful photo of your stitchery. It seems relaxing with the swan swimming around. I´ve also brought my stitchery around, but not sewn very much. Enjoy your stitching sunday!

Julierose said...

Hi Kathy--i made it to your site today ;))) Still quilting away on my Pomegranates...
I love your little kitty embroidery--so adorable..hugs, Julierose

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Love the photo with the swan! I made zero progress on my redwork this week, as I was busy putting sleeves on quilts for the fair.

Miaismine said...

Your stitching is beautiful and set in a such a serene scene! Yes, slow stitching slows down our hearts, calms our minds and releases joy for me. Blessings to you!

Karen said...

I want that lavender cupcake! What flavor was it?