Monday, July 30, 2018

On Ringo Lake - Quilt Top




I can hardly believe it, but I did accomplish my July goal to sew together my "On Ringo Lake" quilt top. This was the Bonnie Hunter mystery from November
2017. I have changed my version slightly from Bonnie's original pattern which had an on point setting, and I used a straight set layout. The original d
esign also had sashing, but I turned my sashing units into an accordion border. Because of my changes, there were a lot of bulky seams to match, and many, many pins were used to join each seam. Here is the quilt top hanging on the clothesline today.

I was so excited to take the photo of the finished quilt top... and guess what happened when I hung it up?
I immediately spotted a mistake! Can you believe it? There it is just as plain as day. I had checked and rechecked each row so many times before putting the whole thing together. 
Oh well, I guess it's not completely finished since I'll have to dig out the seam ripper and fix that mistake now. I sure do hope there is only one mistake!
The quilt top measures 82.5" x 64.5" and contains 3,056 pieces.

A huge thank you to Bonnie Hunter who has been providing these wonderful mysteries to us year after year for FREE!! Let's remember to thank her for all she gives to the quilting world by supporting her classes and buying her products. I can't even imagine what quilting would be like for me without her scrappy inspiration, generosity, and brilliant pattern designing. I can't wait for her next string piecing book to be released and to see what she comes up with for the next mystery.

To see more design wall posts, hop over to Small Quilts.
To see more One Monthly Goal posts, hop over to the end of month link up.

29 comments:

Margaret said...

Your quilt top is gorgeous and I’m so glad you got it finished. I hope you send a copy of the photo to Bonnie - I’m sure she would love to see it!

Julierose said...

Congratulations on an epic journey finish with this quilt! It is beautiful! I canNOT see any mistakes--I like your setting--boy lots of seams to match up on this one for sure...hugs, Julierose

Gretchen Weaver said...

I didn't take the time to look for the mistake but I'm glad you saw it now and not when it was in the process of being quilted!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I had to really really look for that mistake as you said one was in it but it took awhile!

MissPat said...

I did find the mistak, and since I would need to fix it if it were my quilt, I won't tell you to just leave it. But if you hadn't mentioned it, I doubt anyone would have seen it.
I did find a four patch turned the wrong way in my Celtic Soltice flimsy, but I'm proud to say, I just left it. I told my grandson to whom it was gifted, that there was a mistake, but so far he hasn't found it.
Pat

BJ said...

I would leave the mistake in and call it "Geese Lost Their Way on Ringo Lake"! It's a beautiful quilt and I love your border.

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

I only found the mistake because you said there was one! I love the colors and the setting you chose. Congratulations on this epic finish!

Quilting Babcia said...

I sure didn't see any mistakes, just a gorgeous quilt top!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I love the colors that you used for this one!! and your setting is just perfect!!!

Louise said...

I wouldn't have spotted that little oopsie, but I'm glad you caught it at the fixable stage. Better now than after it's quilted! It's a beauty for sure :)

Needled Mom said...

Well done - even with the little blip.

Donna Fry said...

Gorgeous quilt-Congratulations! A little blip, no biggee-you will have flipped and stitched in no time. Enjoy the process, as we have enjoyed viewing your beautiful quilt!

beaquilter said...

Took me a while...I have her easy Street on my bed and it took months to find a mistake!

Created by Kathi said...

I love your ORL finish! I also wouldn't have noticed the needed repair if you hadn't mentioned it! Hope the repair happens easily Kathy!!
Kathi

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

Kathy, what a gorgeous quilt! WOW! Enjoy this beauty!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Way to go there girl--what a pretty quilt too--bet you are delighted that itis to this stage!!
enjoy. di

Janet O. said...

Do not see the error, just a gorgeous quilt!

Robin said...

Great accomplishment! I can't find the mistake either but I'm glad you found it now instead of spreading it on your bed and finding the mistake 2 yrs. from now.
Or worse yet, having someone else point it out to you. Your sure get a lot done in a month.

Mary said...

Couldn't spot the Boo boo block. It's a Happy quilt! Mine was over 3,000 pieces too. Glad I finally put the seam ripper to rest. Love your ORL. I'm pretty sure the Mystery will have 'Strings'

grammajudyb said...

I looked for it, but couldn't see it at first! I read the comments, one mentioned a 'wrong way goose" so I zeroed in. OK, it's there, but hardly noticeable. Glad you saw it and no doubt will get it righted quickly! It is wonderful. The border is stunning and I like it set that way!

Karrin Hurd said...

Gorgeous quilt!

Chantal said...

I love your version of On Ringo Lake. It is so different without the sashing. Love the colours you have chose too. Ok, it took me a very long time before I could spot the Oops. So don't be too hard on yourself for not seeing it before. Congratulations on getting it to the flimsy stage. ;^)

Lisa J. said...

It's beautiful. You must have really good eyes cause I can't see your mistake.

Joni said...

Love this quilt finish! The colors are beautiful and inspiring. I didn't spot your oopsie. Loved the sashing blocks turned into the accordion border.

Let's Get Sewing said...

Your quilt is stunning! The colours are lovely

Patty said...

This is a spectacular quilt. I love your setting for the blocks. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

Barb said...

Congrats on hitting your goal~ I found the "mistake" but I think it's charming and I hope you don't fix it.
in studying antique quilts, we always delight in finding little quirks. We're all human after all. I like your straight setting.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Well, I couldn't find the mistake. Great top!

Kate said...

Your version turned out beautifully! Congrats on finishing off the mystery well in advance of the next one!