Sunday, November 09, 2014

Slowly Stitching and NOT Multitasking

Where I walked last Sunday
One of my goals for starting Slow Sunday Stitching was to encourage myself, and other like-minded stitchers, to set aside some time each week to rest, and to make space in a very busy life to enjoy hand stitching. It has been a wonderful slow journey and I am amazed by how much I look forward to each Sunday.  
But as much as I enjoy it, it is shocking how easy it is for me to compromise my relaxation time and/or let it disappear. 


I am frequently tempted to do several things at once and do a little "efficient multitasking". I think I'll just run downstairs and put in a quick load of laundry, and then put some food in the crockpot for supper in between stitches. And maybe I'll watch a little TV, while I allow myself to be constantly interrupted by phone calls, emails, and texts. 
From Interactive123
It is easy to slip into the belief that I am being more efficient if I am doing at least 5 things at once! And even if I'm not doing the multitasking, I am thinking about my 'to-do' list and feeling guilty that I am taking time to stitch.
But multitasking is bad for your brain (read an interesting article here or here or here, or do your own google search in between stitching LOL!) 
I encourage all of my Slow Sunday Stitching Friends to really enjoy stitching today - with no distractions, interruptions, or multitasking. None. Turn off all the devices and enjoy the sound of your stitching. Wouldn't it be great to enjoy some peaceful stitching, even if only for a few minutes? Let it be just you and your stitching, your threads and needles, and your creative thoughts.
Block sampler quilt



Today I will be putting more stitches in my block sampler quilt. You can see where I was quilting last Sunday... the hoop is on the top right of the quilt. I'll pick right up where I left off. 
Ahhhh.... pure relaxation!


I hope you will link up your blog post and tell us about the project you are hand stitching.  We will have a random draw for those who link up. One Slow Sunday Stitcher will win a Fat Quarter of this adorable Riley Blake snail fabric.
Enjoy your stitching with no multitasking today!




28 comments:

Quilting Stories said...

Thank you Kathy for your encouragement to enjoy stitching and to relax! I will try to follow your advice. Have a great Sunday!

Jo said...

I agree. I too multi task. We need to treat ourselves and relax.... Slow down....
Do you leave your hoop in your work from week to week

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

LOL I have laundry in and potatoes boiling on the stove for something later...

Chantal said...

Google search between stitches made me literally laughed out loud. I am so much a "multi-tasker" all the time, 7 days/week. BUT, on Sunday, I usually get to sit and sew none stop for about 1 -2 hours during the evening. Aaahhh! It's one-on-one with needles time! Yeah!

The Cozy Quilter said...

I am definitely a multi-tasker! However, when I decide to sew, i don't do anything else and actually accomplish a lot in the time that I have set aside for sewing. My husband already showed me the multi-tasking articles....

Created by Kathi said...

The reason I hand quilt instead of much machine quilting is the relaxation and order in my brain I get from it... Thanks for a great read today! Kathi

Angie said...

Thanks for the article links! I already use some strategies to counter-act multi-tasking at work, but now I understand why they are helpful.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I saw the article on multitasking too! With today's technology, I think it is even more important to get away and relax. So glad I have my stitching to help me get there. Enjoy your stitches today!

Kaja said...

You are spot on. I try to be mindful in what I do as much as possible (except when madly multi-tasking) and it's about this exactly, about being in the moment, enjoying where you are and not always being two steps ahead of yourself in your head.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I am a fan of multi-tasking - I like to sit and enjoy hand work, but I can only sit for just so long before I am up doing something else - then come back to enjoy the slow stitches - as much as I love hand work I can not do it all day long the hands will begin to ache and the body from sitting.

Scrappy quilter said...

Great post. Why as women cannot we just rest and relax doing just one thing.

Cathy said...

I wouldn't get anything accomplished if I didn't multitask at work and at home! I think there is a difference between true multitasking and constantly interrupting yourself with unnecessary/unimportant tasks like answering a phone!

Juliann in WA said...

Lovely post Kathy. I have been thinking so much about being intentional, making choices about how I run my day instead of letting my day run me. Have a post brewing in my head about all of this too.
Enjoy your day!

Monica said...

You are quite right, Kathy! Unfortunately, there will be no slow stitching for me today, because we have company, but I hope to get back in the groove with it next week. Have fun!

Denise :) said...

Aaaaah . . . I am *so* guilty of this! Totally taking back today and setting aside time to sit, relax, and stitch. No more, no less!! Your sampler will be finished in no time -- what next?! :)

CathieJ said...

I so understand the idea that you don't get as much done when multitasking. Such a pretty place to walk. I love seeing white birch trees. Enjoy your stitching. I look forward to seeing the final result. Thanks for the giveaway!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Oh man! No slow stitching for me today. Swim meets this weekend ... family time after yesterday and packing this evening means no time for hand stitching ... although I've got my MWFG all packed and ready to work on this coming week. ;-)

You're right about multi-tasking. Sometimes I have to so I can have some stitching time that day ... but we need to work harder to carve out some time where other responsibilities are set aside for a time. ;-)

Suzanne said...

I appreciate you having this weekly blog post. I am learning to enjoy my stitching/creating again. Thanks for the much needed reminder!

Deb A said...

I agree. I find I love waiting for the kids in the car with no radio (cool enough finally to have the windows down and car off rather than the ac running full blast!) and just me and my slow stitching. I hope to link up later this evening ... right before I enjoy my slow stitching!

Nita said...

Hummmm....no multi tasking means no blogging, either, lol! I promise to spend at least 5 minutes with my stitching today, more if I can spare it. Today looks like it is going to be a bit busy. :(

Stephie said...

I'm not really sitting here reading and quilting at the same time. Honest! Thank you for the link-up - really look forward to joining you on a regular basis :)

Turid said...

No multitasking for me this weekend. I could consentrate on my La Passion, and passed a new hundred hexies. Great giveaway, thank you!

Julierose said...

Not Multitasking here either--just cutting out hexagons to use for slow stitching in the coming weeks...love my new die--an early (very!!) Christmas present from my DH...hugs, Julierose

Sue said...

Here's to tangle free thread and another happy, stitchy Sunday!

Teresa in Music City said...

You are so right Kathy! I actually had a (mostly) tech-free weekend ... and it was wonderful! I kept thinking, I need to be working on this project... or I need to be pulling fabrics for that project.... But when I just let all that go and one-by-one just did the things that I wanted to get done and out of the way with no interruptions, I had such a sense of accomplishment at the end of the weekend! AND I found time to sit quietly and enjoy my stitching too - because you told me to, right? And I always do what I'm told LOL!!!

Rachel said...

Oh my goodness, those snails are adorable. Unfortunately for me the only hand stitching I did this weekend I can't post about. I'm hand quilting a quilt for my husband. He might get it around our 10th anniversary at this rate!

I'm bad with multitasking. And it's usually those days that I seem to make a lot of "progress" but to not get anything done. ;) Enjoy your stitching!

audrey said...

Great post! Too true. We should really try to relax into our slow stitching more than we do.:)

Kate said...

Very interesting information on multi-tasking. Hope you enjoyed your relaxing slow stitching.