Sunday, November 16, 2014

Slow Sunday Stitching

The time change here has resulted in sunset occurring around 5 pm, which means the days are shorter and colder - perfect hibernating and quilting weather! I have been hand quilting my block sampler quilt almost daily during the long, dark evenings.  I find that I just don't feel like sitting at the sewing machine, and instead want to snuggle up under a quilt, and slowly drink hot tea and quilt.
This is one of the finished blocks in my sampler quilt. Doesn't the quilting texture look yummy?!? I am totally sold on the 12 wt. Aurifil thread that my friend Deanna gave me to try. I like the way it threads the needle, the way it pulls through the quilt sandwich so smoothly, and the way the stitches look.

The update of the hand quilting completed on this quilt so far is:

Stars - 9 of 20 quilted

Blocks - 8 of 12 quilted

Sashings - 17 of 31 quilted

That is approximately the half way mark of quilting the center of the quilt. It is time to start thinking about how I will quilt the red outside border when I get there.
Thanks to everyone who participated in the linky party last week. There were so many wonderful projects to enjoy!
True Random Number Generator  21
Powered by RANDOM.ORG                    
The winner of the snail fabric draw is linky #21 who is Sarah! Email me your address Sarah and I will pop the snails in the snail mail to you!! 
It's Slow Sunday Stitching day so go get out your stitching and spend some time with your needle and thread. Then link up your blog post below and tell us about your project. Happy Stitching!


19 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

in love with the colors and pattern of this quilt so it is enjoyable to watch your progress; such a warm, cozy quilt

Sarah said...

I agree with the above post, the colours are gorgeous and it is looking sooooo good. Really surprised to see my name pulled out of the hat from last weeks linky party. Very exciting thank you!!

Created by Kathi said...

I have used Aurifil 28/2 but have not yet had the pleasure of using their 12 wt thread... Hope a nice project for a nice color of 12 wt would be FUN! Your project is looking spectacular too.. :) Have a blessed week! Kathi

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I just love that quilt! Gorgeous!

I've used Aurifil's 28 wt thread and would like to try their 12 wt. I need to plan a project to give it a try.

Barb said...

I admire your hand quilting

CathieJ said...

Your hand-quilting is beautiful. I find sewing after dark quite difficult these days. I have to do it during daylight. I leave the nights to knit and crochet usually.

Deanna W said...

It is definitely the time of year for snuggling and getting your quilting done. Glad I am not the only one who thinks the evenings are long. Your quilting looks great and I love the thread too although I am embroidering with it. Guess I will have to try quilting with it next!

The Cozy Quilter said...

No hand sewing for me this week so far. I hope to do some later today. I will have to try that thread you are using on my next hand quilting project. Your quilt is lovely!

Denise :) said...

Won't it be fun to have it to curl up under and not have to take stitches?! I like the Aurifil, too. That and the YLI, for hand-quilting!! :)

Cathy said...

Oh, great progress! I do like the look when using that thread. I'm going to have to find a place to buy it for my next project.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

hexies will be my slow stitch Sunday work.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

and I have not used that thread and will need to keep an eye out for it to give it a try - love your quilting.

Suzanne said...

Your sampler is going to be a beautiful finish!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This is coming along so beautifully. I won't be joining in today - company.

Janet O. said...

Is that thread you mentioned labeled as quilting thread? I am a bit leery of threads that aren't made specifically for quilting on a quilt that is going to be used. One of the early quilts my Mom made for me was hand quilted with a non-quilting thread. After using it on our bed for a while the stitches began to pop. There are broken threads in many places and I have had to stop using the quilt. Granted, it may not have been a quality thread to start with (Mom couldn't recall what she used--just knew it wasn't quilting thread), but it makes me hesitant to use anything but quilting thread. I'll be curious to know your experience in using this quilt. I love the look of the stitches. If it is strong enough, I may have to look for it myself. : )

Kaja said...

That star looks so good and your stitching is beautiful. I like the look of the Aurifil!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I love the transformation that happens to fabric when we add those hand quilted stitches. Your quilt is looking fabulous.

Stephie said...

I agree with you about sewing machines and darker evenings! This is such a beautiful quilt - the colours are gorgeous :)

Kate said...

Love the texture your hand quilting adds to the quilt.