Sunday, November 30, 2014

December's UFO Project

Slow Sunday Stitchers have been seeing my block sampler quilt a lot over the last two months while I have been hand quilting it. I have decided to make this quilt my last UFO project of 2014. I was able to finish 6 UFO's on my 2014 list (on the right sidebar of my blog), and this week I also finished one challenging quilt top. I would like to add one more finish before the end of December. You can see more UFO goals over at a Lovely Year of Finishes.
Here is the basted quilt thrown over the boat launch at my friend's cottage. It had just been pulled out of the water for the winter, and it looked like an easel to me. A perfect place for photographing a quilt!

The sampler was pin basted at the end of September and I have been quilting it with each week for my Slow Sunday Stitching project. I have enjoyed it so much that sometimes I also pick it up in the evenings, and it is so close to being finished.


Here are the hand quilting stats:

Stars - 14 of 20 quilted

Blocks - 11 of 12 quilted

Sashings - 27 of 31 quilted


See what I mean?!? So close to being finished, although I still have to figure out what to quilt in the border.



Granddog Max is saying "Come on Grandma, time for some Slow Sunday Stitching on this quilt"!
What are you hand stitching today? Link up your blog post and share your project with us - we love to see what you are working on and encourage you along.






22 comments:

margaret said...

looks lovely and can see you are really enjoying the hand quilting so relaxing I find

The Cozy Quilter said...

Max is looking redy to assist you with your stitching today! Such a helpful dog! This quilt is coming along nicely a! Have fun stitching today.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Love that display photo! :)

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

That launch is a perfect prop for your quilt! Which looks fabulous, by the way. And yes, you are so close ... which means you should be able to add one last finish by the end of the year. You can do it!

Chantal said...

Love the picture on the giant "easel". You are sooooo close to finishing this one. I have faith in you, you can do it. ;^). For the quilting of the borders, how about echoing the stars (exactly like the inside of the star) and go straight down the border to the next star? Just saying.

Lisa J. said...

I love the colours in the close up photo of the quilt. Very cheery. I love the bright red thread as well. Thanks for the bright photo's on this so far dull day. The lake looks great!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I will slow stitch in between working on house, yard and machine - Dear Jane will suit that purpose

Cathy said...

Sweet! ...Max and the stitching!

CathieJ said...

Max is adorable. He knows that this will be a finished projects soon. It is so pretty and so close to being done. Yay for you! Thanks for hosting.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

You are getting close to the finish line - I am sure you can get this one checked off by the end of the year.

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

Max is such a good slow stitching cheer leader! You will definitely get this quilt finished.

Barbara said...

Your quilt turned out lovely.

Unknown said...

How do you keep the raw edges of your quilt from raveling while you are quilting it? I'm a hand quilter also, and my sides and top start raveling while I'm hand quilting. Any tips? Thanks, and I love following your blog. I also have a treadle sewing machine and my 10 year old grandson helped me set it up and start sewing! He loves it (and so do I).

Lesley said...

Your quilt is so gorgeous! Love seeing the close up of your stitches. I can see why you enjoy quilting this one!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Max looks like a sweet helper! Your stitches are lovely--can't wait to see it finished.

Deb A said...

Hmmm. How about more stars in the border with some loopy swirls to connect them? Cables are always good too... but some off kilter stars would be interesting =) Good luck with your goals... I know you can do it. Love your stitches.... I can only hope to be that good one day.

Kate said...

You've made a lot of progress with it and it looks great.

Jill said...

Boat launch is a great quilt prop may I suggest doing a baptist fan for border. I hear it goes quilckly and it gives dimension to the straight lines. Tim L. uses it lots.

Anonymous said...

Great way to display the quilt. I know you can finish this one for December's ALYOF! Thanks for not embedding your comment box. I got to comment! =)

Denise :) said...

It's coming along so smartly, I have no doubt you'll have it in the 'finish' pile before the year's end! :)

Rachel said...

Lovely! I think the borders are always the hardest part. What if you did some echo quilting to highlight that the stars peek into the borders? Good luck getting it finished before the years end!

Sandy Panagos said...

Looks great!! I find borders the most difficult as well. Sometimes I just stitch piano keys because it's easy. Love your work.