Friday, November 21, 2014

Shweshwe Fabric

Last week at my guild meeting we had guest speaker Celeste Compion. I was delighted to see her again since I met her years ago in a mini quilt class I was teaching, but haven't seen her for a long time. These are mini quilts she made in the class with me so many years ago!
Celeste shared with us about her new venture importing Shweshwe fabric from South Africa through her company called Meerkat Shweshwe. She is a wonderful speaker and we enjoyed hearing about how this 100% cotton fabric is made.

This is the cute "Three Cats" stamp on the back of the fabric which verifies that it is true Shweshwe made by Da Gama.





This is my special collection of Shweshwe fabric and now I am pondering what I could make with it. I am thinking of making a tote bag since the fabric is very durable. When you buy it, the fabric feels quite stiff so you have to prewash before sewing with it.
These chocolate and indigo colours are very traditional, but they also have wild and bright colours - you can check them out here.

Okay... time to stop admiring my Shweshwe and get to work on those RRCB borders!

11 comments:

Ellen said...

Wonderful collection of fabric! I had never heard of this type of fabric before.

Linda said...

A friend of mine made a bed quilt with her collection of Shweshwe and it is just amazing. A bag would be great! The RRCB borders are a lot of work, but just so worth it.

Jo said...

I love those colours of fabrics..
When you taught about mini quilts what would be the first rule you would tell a beginner..
How would you explain them...

Deb A said...

Such great colors together. Good luck with your borders... I'm off to pin CS so maybe it can get quilted before next Friday?

Sandy said...

I have seen this fabric... where? PIQF maybe? I remember it being stiff so I believe it's the same thing. It is beautiful. Is it available online?

Nell's Quilts said...

Your shweshwe fabrics should make a very versatile and sturdy bag. I was so lucky to win a piece of the red but will need a bit more to make something with it. I'll have to stop off to do some shopping some day soon but first so many little projects to finish up.

Janet O. said...

Great prints! That combo of the blues and browns should make a wonderful bag!

Marei said...

First time I've heard of these fabrics and they look lovely. You've got a nice selection and I look forward to seeing what you make with them.

Barb said...

She sounds like she would be interesting to hear...never heard of that fabric...

Janet said...

That is fantastic fabric. Must have been interesting!

Kate said...

Beautiful fabrics. Love those blues!