Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Still Quilting the Bear

Progress continues on machine quilting the bear. After the stabilizing lines on both sides of the sashing were stitched, I started quilting the paw print border blocks. I just stitched a free motion 'X' through each plain square. 
And then in the next border I free motioned an 'X' design again. I marked each section with an air erase marker to have a spot to aim for. It's not a precise method and the lines are usually not even straight, but I like quilting this way, and the results are good enough for the bear and me!



Then I decided to quilt across the brown bear paw blocks on the diagonal. I like the way it looks but it's a lot of stopping and starting. I decided to not tie in the thread tails, but to just tack the beginning and ending of each line of stitching, and clip the threads. It doesn't look as nice, but the bear and I are both okay with that too! If progress keeps going this smoothly, this bear might even be done by the end of the month!

11 comments:

BizarreQuilter said...

ooh, how very exciting! well. I am excited for you!

The Cozy Quilter said...

You will be done in no time!

Carolyn said...

I have been following along with each posting on "The Bear". Have totally enjoyed the journey. Am looking forward to the finish. Love your pattern and your sharing your adventure. Thank you!

Deanna W said...

I hear ya!! Stopping and starting...isn't machine quilting suppose to be faster? Well three days instead of three months...yes but still!!! Work on my friend and you will have it done in no time!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Sometimes 'done' is what is good. I think one of the reasons I don't really like free motion, is all the loose threads. Such a pain to deal with. You've given me some ideas for my bear quilt, if I ever finish it.

Needled Mom said...

This is going to be a fabulous finish.

Mary said...

Done is better than perfect. Yea fir progress on the quilting. You have a bit more time this month.31 days in July!!

Janet O. said...

Hey, as long as the bear doesn't mind what you are doing, why should you? But be careful. You wouldn't want to upset him if he hasn't had enough sausage lately.

Kate said...

Congrats on all the progress. Looking great!

Kevin the Quilter said...

This is completely cool! I really admire those who can quilt on domestic machines! I wish I could!

Barb said...

Yay! I'm cheering you on - you can do it and you are doing it!