Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Sampler Quilts

Sampler quilts are some of my favourite quilts to see, and to make. As opposed to quilts in which all the blocks are the same, a sampler quilt is made from a variety of blocks that are unique. Each block of a sampler quilt uses different layouts, scraps of fabrics, and/or construction techniques. These projects hold my interest WAY longer than quilts where I have to make a bunch of blocks that are exactly the same. My version of Votes For Women (pattern by Barbara Brackman) is my most recently finished sampler quilt, and therefore my current favourite! You can see some of my older sampler quilts here and read about some historical sampler quilts here.



My love of sampler quilts is one of the reasons I love the Moda Blockheads project. Last week we sewed block # 18 called Rocky Mountain Puzzle. It's a bit of an unusual name for this block, and you can learn more about the history of the name here

Because this is a mystery quilt project, I don't know how the layout will be. But I'm already leaning toward having some of the block be straight set and some on point.
A huge thank you to the Moda pattern designers who are providing this mystery sampler quilt for our enjoyment completely free of charge!
Hop over to Moda to see the pattern for block #19.
If you have Facebook, you can visit the Blockheads page and see all the block variations being sewn.
Linking up to the Oh Scrap! party at Cynthia's.

10 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

I have made several sampler quilts. They are a great chance to try something new and fun to look at as well. I'm working on two myself at the moment.

KaHolly said...

Oh, my goodness! Look at all those beautiful blocks! I'm really bad at keeping up with BOMs and quilt alongside. Then, when I see them completed, I'm always sorry I didn't participate. Like now!

Karen said...

I, too, like sampler quilts. Especially in applique. I don't like the idea of repeat, repeat, repeat.

Janet O. said...

I used to make many samplers, in my early quilting days. I seem to have really gotten away from them for some reason.
Really liking what I see here, and the way the red and cheddar make some of the blocks pop is a beautiful thing! : )

Mary said...

Sampler Quilts are my Favorite! Just watching you make these is enough for ne. Very tempting.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Love your blocks!

Robin said...

Great fabrics for the Rocky Mountain puzzle block

Kate said...

Sampler quilts are one of my favorites too, but My Guy doesn't like them. He likes nice regular patterns.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the varied and interesting blocks you've made for this project! It will be fun to see how they go together!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your design wall looks amazing! I am liking Sampler quilts more and more. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!