Friday, July 21, 2017

Finished Mini Quilt


Back in May when issue #15 of the 100 Blocks magazine came out, I was immediately smitten with Bonnie Hunter's blockIn the magazine this block was called "sawtooth flutter" but I'm calling my version "Bonnie's Star". 

I sewed her block pattern using leftover triangles given to me by one of my quilt guild members (who would have otherwise thrown the pieces in the garbage). It was a fun challenge to turn the baggie of scrap triangles into this 133 piece 12" block. 
Since I already had the walking foot on my machine because I was quilting the Bear, I thought a quick little diversion with some instant gratification would be nice. And it was! I just did some stitch-in-the-ditch quilting around the block pieces and some parallel lines in the border and it's done - including a label and hanging sleeve.
A quick finish is just what I needed to maintain my motivation for my larger long term projects. 

9 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Very pretty! Lots of pieces. So glad you were able to keep those scraps out of the landfill!

Marie said...

Oh, I could never have thrown those scraps away. Good for you for saving them, and what a gorgeous little minnie you have.

diane said...

It's so beautiful, thanks for sharing. Scraps are the best!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Sew cute! Yes, sometimes we have to stop and get a quick finish.

Janet O. said...

And so very sweet! I love this kind of challenge--to use what others would toss and make something pretty. That is a great block design. It really makes a nice little mini quilt, Kathy!
When I was in a hands-on demo of a product at a local store once, we were making potholders to try out a new product they were selling. The process involved cutting off some bonus triangles, and the teacher said to throw them away. I believe I whimpered, so she added, "Or give them to Janet". They made a nice little quilt. : )

Deanna W said...

So pretty!! Sometimes a rest or change is a good thing!!

Robin said...

It is a wonderful block but . . . . 133 pieces? Not for the faint of heart.

Mary said...

And I thought my 88 Midnight Flight 12" block had a lot of pieces. Good diversion. Back to the Bear...

AnnieO said...

Beautiful! I'm not a saver of cut off triangles but love star blocks! I've been grousing about making blocks with 31 pieces...lol