Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Emerald Stars Step #1

Scrap organization is an ongoing challenge for a busy quilter! I'm always tossing pieces here and there, and trying to figure out how to store scraps so they are actually useable for future projects. What good does it do to keep scraps if they don't actually become finished quilts?!?! 


Well, Kevin the Quilter is helping us out with that challenge! He is hosting a scrappy mystery project called "Sapphire Stars" (step #1 is here). There are lots of tips already posted for scrap organization
For this project I am using up green scraps, so my quilt will be called Emerald Stars. The dark corners were leftover from the sashing and backing on the bear quilt, the medium squares are some of my favourite green plaids, and the lights were from the green scrap bin. It's so great to be getting these scraps into a quilt ... thanks Kevin!



The 48 blocks for step #1 were sewn on my white Singer featherweight 221K.  I thought it was the perfect machine for sewing these green blocks since under some lighting the machine appears to have a slight tinge of green. Notice that I'm using up a bobbin of light green thread to piece these blocks. 
Ready for step #2!
Linking up to Oh Scrap!

9 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I love green, cannot wait to see your Emerald Stars.

Ruth said...

It looks like a fun project! You have a lot going on. I haven't been reading blogs very much lately due to other things - like quilting - but you have some great projects that you are working on!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Love your Christmas stitching, Kathy. The Christmas in July theme seems to be popping up around the net, much to my delight as I love Christmas so much. Meanwhile, I love how you are changing up the Blue to Green to suit your stash. I will follow this with great interest.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Love love love those plaids. Scrap storage is good but I agree a scrappy quilt is better. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

The greens will be pretty. I made my blocks on my purple featherweight.

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

The mystery sounds like a lot of fun. I love the "emerald" fabrics you're using. I wish there were more hours in the day to do all the projects and mysteries that I'd like to. Happy sewing! --Andrea

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sapphire, Ruby, Amber, and now Emerald Stars!! Looking forward to seeing your alternate version of Kevin's quilt grow. Enjoy!

Katie said...

That's a great way to re purpose bobbin thread that could be sitting around for years. Love emeralds!

maggie fellow said...

I like your combination and look forward to seeing the reveal.