Thursday, January 21, 2021

UFO Update

This month's UFO had to be found before I could work on it! It's almost 5 years old, so it was at the back of the closet. And although I didn't actually start working on it until this week, I was working on it in my head since the beginning of the month. Thinking. Thinking. 


Why did I stop working on it? What would make me like this project more? 

Having the right mindset is the most important thing when working on a UFO and here are the four insights I had about this project:

1) Too much of a good thing (pink) might not be good (for me)! I was coming to that conclusion after the class and spacing out the pink and adding more white in the strip sets, but still not quite enough to settle it down. 


2) Adding a couple of random surprises makes me happier! In this quilt there are a few bunnies and owls.



3) There is no "right" layout, especially with an improv quilt. Anything the maker likes is "right". Sometimes when I take a quilt class I start to think there is only one way to put a quilt together, and the teacher knows the way and I don't. It ties me up in knots and then the project gets stuck. 


4) Hand stitching fixes everything (for me!). As soon as I started thinking about adding hand stitches in pink thread, I immediately wanted to finish the quilt top.

Progress is being made!

11 comments:

AnnieO said...

Fun improv play! Looking great.

Julierose said...

Oh I like your additions too...hugs, Julierose

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

I love how your quilt is coming along, especially the little animal prints you've snuck in there. I agree with you 100% - hand quilting definitely makes every better.

Flickenstichlerin said...

Nice project, are you handstitching, perhaps handquilting with pearl cotton and how does it work out compared to handquilting thread?
Greetings,
Sylvia

Wendy Caton Reed said...

What fun! Such a cheerful project. We can all use that right now!

Maggie said...

UFO has become a work in progress and since renaming these projects this is a great way to move forward and getting them going and finished. LOVE your owl and the fabrics. Soon it will be a finish!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I think your idea of breaking up the hot pink, with the white strips, was a great one. It's a fun cheerful quilt with the little surprises added in too. Hurray for hand stitching too.

scraphappy said...

Glad you got past the block. They say that perfect is the enemy of good enough. Sometimes just being able to move on is the important part. Hand stitching will look great. Sounds like something to look forward to!

Deanna W said...

Is that as big as you are going. I was going to suggest adding more of the yellowish colours from the center to the outside....or maybe another colour to calm all the pinkness!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm SEW excited that you have worked your way back to this fun PINK quilt, Kathy!! Best of luck on moving it forward.

Sharon said...

This is definitely worthy of a finish. Yes to the hand quilting, it will be lovely!