Sunday, January 24, 2021

Slow Sunday Stitching - old friends

Welcome to the international weekly hand stitching party!

6 year old UFO
Lately I have been visiting some of the projects in my UFO collection. Many are unfinished because I either want to add some hand applique or I want to hand quilt them. I don't know if I will have enough years in my life to accomplish this lofty goal, but it's fine with me if they sit in the closet and wait for their turn. Or eventually get finished by someone else. 

I have been slowly working on my Life Is Beautiful project for 6 years. I still love it and enjoy putting stitches in it from time to time. There are 2 blocks in the quilt layout, an embroidery block and an alternate circular applique block. 

Hand quilting an embroidery block
This is a project that involves my favourite hand stitching activities: applique, embroidery, and quilting. I am not in a hurry to finish it. I savour each stitch, and each step of the creative process. That is what making a beautiful life is all about!

I certainly have enough quilted blocks to start the quilt-as-you-go assembly process but I haven't yet. The blocks are easier to store in a pile. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it LOL!

And I'm also hand quilting my oldest UFO that I showed last week. 

In spite of everything going on in the world, and needing to stay "safe at home" during our continuing covid19 lockdown, today I'm just going to focus on creating more beauty in life by putting stitches into a couple of my oldest projects. 💖

What beautiful projects are you hand stitching today? Link up your blog post below and share with us.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

24 comments:

CathieJ said...

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing a few of those Life is Beautiful blocks again. Enjoy your UFO stitching!

Laurece said...

Beautiful blocks. Wish the pattern was still a available. ❤️

linda said...

I love what you are doing what a beautiful project to keep going back too, I would love to see every one of those completed blocks, the ones I can see are so pretty. Enjoy your stitching today.

Ivani said...

I remember your other posts about this wonderful blocks. They are a beauty! All of them have been beautifully embroidered and are now hand quilting too. Happy Slow Sunday Stitching! Stay at home & Be safe!!

Created by Kathi said...

I love your life is beautiful blocks and hope to see it a quilt some day sooner than later :)
Kathi

Birthe Marie said...

This is so beautiful. Exciting with finished quilted blocks. Cute embroidery!

Turid said...

So many beautiful blocks. Hope they will end up in a quilt soon.

Jill said...

A very nice stack of neat, tidy and pretty blocks. This is just a kindly suggestion - they would make a nice wall hanging.

Little Penpen said...

Those blocks are beautiful! I can see why you don't necessarily want it to end; those must be so fun to stich.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you have a lot of blocks finished I'm looking forward to see how they are joined together

The Cozy Quilter said...

Nice to see this project out and getting some stitches. Seems we are all anxious to see this one come together! I love all of the sentiments that are embroidered on your blocks.

stitchingirlblog.wordpress.com said...

Now that's a lot of blocks completed!! This is such a pretty pattern. I have been stitching on lots of different things - kind of just flitting around as the mood hits.

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

I have missed seeing Life is Beautiful! It's lovely!

Rebecca said...

I have been looking for the "life is beautiful" pattern for a couple of years now.... If you do not have the pattern I wonder if that counts as an UFO?

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is such a pretty and "feel good" project! I like the look of that pile of blocks, too. Enjoy!

scraphappy said...

Glad you are still enjoying life is beautiful blocks. So nice to have easy to manage sizes of blocks.

Sarah said...

I've always loved this project and especially seeing the pile of blocks!

Karrin Hurd said...

Love your Life is Beautiful project! I love those kinds of projects too! Happy stitching!

Sherrie said...

Hi Kathy,
It's an awesome feeling to work on an old UFO project. It's like you can see it coming to life. Your Life is Beautiful quilt will be beautiful when done. Have a great day!

Kathy S. said...

I love the Life is Beautiful project. Glad to see it again!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Wonderful and positive post, Karen. I agree sometimes there is no hurry to finish a project but savor each delightful step in the journey. Happy quilting.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Those blocks are just lovely and perfect for slow stitching! xx

Wendy Caton Reed said...

I love seeing that pile of blocks all quilted and ready to go. That is my favorite stage of my potholder quilts - all piled up just before assembly. So much fun to look at. I love all your positive messages in your embroidery. I think we could all use a little more of that these days!

Kim said...

Your Life is Beautiful pile of lovely blocks are beautiful. How fabulous to visit them from time to time and think upon beautiful things; slow hand stitching, embroidery and quilting.